120. No Worries

A few days after David and my anniversary, I was wandering around the house aimlessly when I found myself to be parched, so I made my way to the kitchen and entered. The first thing I saw was a figure sitting on one of the stools and staring down at their phone. They glanced up when they heard the door open and smiled.

"Hey Angel," Tom said as I walked in.

I returned the gesture and said, "Hello. What are you doing all alone in here?"

He shrugged and stuffed his phone into his back pocket. "I like sitting in here. The view out the patio door is pretty amazing."

"Oh?" I turned to look out the sliding glass door and my eyes widened in surprise. It actually was quite beautiful, with the sun setting over the treetops and turning the pool water into a rippling painting. "Wow... that's really cool..."

"Mhmm. I come down here a lot to think and watch the sun go down. What about you?"

"Hmm?"

"What brings you to the kitchen?"

"Oh, I was just gonna grab a drink."

He held up a hand and hopped off his stool. "Allow me."

"Oh, that's o-"

"I insist," he interrupted, so I just shrugged. He smirked and turned to the wine cabinet, tapping his chin with his finger. "Let's see here, I'm guessing you're a... red wine kind of girl, yes?"

I chuckled, "No, not exactly."

"Oh, of course not, how silly of me. Obviously you like something stronger, like... vodka malted! Yes?"

I rolled my eyes, "I'm too young to drink, Tom."

He turned to me, feigning surprise. "What? I thought you were at least eighteen!"

I shook my head, "Nope. Just sixteen."

"Sixteen?" He let out a low whistle, "Wow. You're quite mature for that young."

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

"So that would make you and Dee how many years apart...?"

"A few..." I muttered, shifting my eyes away uncomfortably. I hadn't had a talk like this with anyone in quite a while and it was awkward thinking about the age gap in our relationship. I mean don't get me wrong, I still didn't care how old he was, but when you never think about how weird it must seem to other people, you can't help but feel apprehensive about it. "But anyways, thanks for the offer but I'll just grab something from the fridge..."

"No no! I said I'd get you something and I will!" he insisted.

I sighed, "Alright. Do we have any lemonade?"

"Yeup." He sauntered over to the fridge and grabbed the pitcher and a cup, setting them on the counter behind him.

"Tom...?" I said apprehensively.

"Mmyes?"

I looked at my feet embarrassedly and murmured, "I wanted to apologize..."

He glanced over his shoulder at me. "What for?"

"For being so cold to you when you arrived... I'm sorry I judged you so much, that was wrong of me."

"Oh, no worries. I know I wasn't exactly a saint to you in the past... In fact, I'm the one that should be apologizing."

I shook my head, "No, there's no need. I know anyone can have a bad day and I shouldn't have jumped to so many conclusions based on one interaction. I'm sorry for that. You're really not a bad guy."