24. We're Just Friends

Eventually December came and one day I was talking to David as normal when he asked, "Where do you live?"

"Minnesota, remember?"

"More specific."

"North Branch."

"Even more specific."

I laughed, "What do you want, my address?"

"Yes."

I blinked. "Okay... What for?"

"Reasons."

"David, tell me why!" I demanded.

"Well, you never know when I might want to send you something."

I groaned, "You're not going to give me Christmas presents, are you?"

"Who, me?" he teased innocently.

"David, please don't."

He frowned, "Well why not?"

"Because I don't have anything to give you! It'll make me feel bad."

He waved it off, "Oh nonsense, I don't need anything."

"Then I don't either."

"But I already bought it!"

"Then bring it back!"

"Come on, please?" he pleaded with his hands clasped together. "You'll love it, I promise."

I sighed, giving up. "It's not something expensive at least, is it?"

"Nah, it wasn't that much."

"Fine." I gave him my address and he jotted it down.

He grinned, "Thanks. Trust me, you won't regret it."

"I sure hope not," I muttered.

***

One day at rehearsals, Darny said, "Alright everyone, please take a seat except Angel and Cam. We are blocking act two scene three." They all oohed in anticipation and I glanced at him. He looked a little pale.

"You okay?" I asked.

He nodded and I turned into my character, listening to what she told us to do. The whole time I was mentally preparing myself for the end, where we had to... kiss. I felt bad, like I was betraying David, but I kept reminding myself that it was just acting.

"But Sabrina, none of that matters! All that matters is how we feel about each other."

"And how do you feel about me Will? Tell me honestly." He took my hand and looked in my eyes, but he seemed nervous and his hand was shaking. I felt the strange energy surge through me again but pushed it away.

"I... love you."

I looked at our hands and whispered, "I love you too."

He tilted my chin up and I took a deep breath. My brain was having a war with itself, half telling me not to do it and the other saying it was just acting. I slipped my eyes shut and thought, It's just acting. Just, acting. It doesn't mean anything... I waited for his lips to meet mine but they never did. He let go of my hand and I opened my eyes.

He turned away and ran a hand through his hair, "I'm sorry, I can't."

"It's just acting," I whispered. "I know it's weird, but you just have to do it."

He glanced at me, frowning. He looked at the ground, "I'm sorry."

Darny cleared her throat, "Why don't you two take five? We'll run something while you're gone." I nodded and we went backstage. He leaned his forehead against the wall and shook his head.