99. That Needs To Change!

"Hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's. I think you'll know when to play it lol. I changed some of the lyrics though and just did a bit of it so don't be like "why this so different, bruh?" Just go with it.

✧✦☆★✧✦☆★

I spent the night tossing and turning, thoughts of David consuming me. Sometimes it would be obvious memories, other times I was trying to recall random Skype conversations like he could, but most of the time I was worried sick about how he was doing right now. I knew the flight takes quite a long time and when he gets back he'll probably go straight to bed, but I just really wanted to talk to him. I wanted to make sure he was alright, that he wasn't falling into depression. That's what kept me awake, my anxious mind just waiting to hear from him.

I could feel myself slowly drifting into my subconscious and after fighting it for a bit, I started to let it pull me in. I was just a few minutes from sleep when all of a sudden, something lit up on my nightstand and I heard a short buzz. It took my sleepy brain a few moments to realize that it was my phone turning on. I instantly snatched it into my hand and looked at the screen, expecting to see David's handsome contact picture, but instead there was just a banner going across my screen with a game notification.

"Ugh, seriously?!" I groaned and flipped on my side, annoyed that my stupid phone had got my hopes like that and pulled me awake again. I forced my eyes shut and tried to clear my thoughts, knowing that I only had a few hours before I was supposed to get up for school and if I didn't get at least a little sleep, I would be snoring in my textbook by second period.

However, not even two minutes later, I felt my hand start to vibrate. My eyes flew open in shock and I pulled my hand out from under my pillow, letting out a sigh of relief when I realized it was just my phone. I'd forgotten that I was still holding it. The cover was facing me so I flipped it over to see the screen and my heart started pounding like thunder. Smiling brightly at me was my one and only Charming, the love of my life. I immediately pressed accept for the FaceTime call and quickly tried to smooth down my hair a bit before it connected. My lips were stretched into a small smile, but once his face popped up, it fizzled out and was replaced by a concerned frown.

He looked like a completely different person than the happy, goofy guy in the picture I'd just seen moments ago. My eyes took in his tear-stained cheeks, his quivering lip, and his red nose that made him look like Rudolph's long lost brother. I turned down the volume because his shaky breathing and constant sniffling sounded like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

"Oh, David," I whispered, tracing his jawline with my thumb.

"A-aa-ang-gg-gel-ll, I-I-II cc-c-can-n't b-b-bbbbreath-th," he stammered, his chest immediately constricting every time he tried to inhale.

I quickly sat up against my headboard and just stared at him, trying to think of what to do, how to get him to calm down. "Ssshh, David, it's okay," I said, attempting a soothing voice, but it probably came out sounding terrified. "Take deep breaths. In," I sucked in a breath through my mouth and hoped for him to do the same, but he didn't even try. "Come on David, in," I tried again and this time I heard him take a trembling inhale. I nodded, although his eyes were clenched shut. "Good, now out." He exhaled with me and I did that a few more times, my shoulders relaxing a bit once he started doing it on his own. I could tell it was still difficult for him though and he had to work for each breath. "Hey, look at me," I said softly, deciding it would probably be best to get his mind off of breathing so that it could become automatic again. "Come on, let me see those gorgeous eyes," I pleaded when he still wouldn't open them. They finally peeked open and he gazed at me, his lips struggling to form even a weak smile. I had to command my expression to be full of reassurance because all it wanted to show was worry and nervousness. "There's that beautiful blue," I said, making a conscious effort to keep my smile.