97. Become One

This chapter is mature and is completely optional. You won't miss anything if you skip it, I promise. In fact, I'm not even going to put a summary at the end 'cause nothing happens in it that affects the storyline. They talk about what happened in the last one that I told you was skippable so if you didn't read that one, don't read this one. As always, it doesn't go into "that" sort of detail 'cause I just don't go down that road, but it's still enough to have me writing this so just please be smart about it. I know I'm not your mother but I'm just saying... use your common sense. Does this really seem like something that people your age should be looking at? Alright, that's all I'm gonna say. Do what you will.

✧✦☆★✧✦☆★

I slowly trailed my hand to the handle near the steering wheel and flicked off the headlights, causing even more stars to peek into the already crowded sky. I quietly unclicked my seatbelt and guided it back into it's resting position, keeping an eye on David to see if he noticed. My fingers carefully inched over to him, gently lacing with his once they got there.

He gladly accepted my hand, looking over to me and even though it was dark in the car, I could still see his bright smile shining at me. "Thank you for bringing me here, Angel. It's absolutely breathtaking. Too bad it's too cold out to really appreciate the whole atmosphere."

"Yeah... I was kind of hoping we could just, spend some time here together. Alone, tranquil... nothing around to interrupt us..." I watched his face intently for any kind of reaction, but he must not have caught on to what I was saying because his expression didn't really change.

"Mhmm," he hummed happily. "It's a nice break from our crazy lives. You really knew just what we needed."

"Well, do we really... have to take a break? I mean it's not that I don't like some down time but, well, we have this whole place to ourselves. Why don't we, you know..." I rubbed my fingers against his leg, "take advantage of it?"

I couldn't really tell with just the dim moonlight, but by the way his grip tightened I guessed that his body had tensed. "What are you suggesting?" he asked slowly, his voice wavering slightly.

I softly stroked his knuckles with my thumb and put on a shy smile, hoping he'd be able to see it. "I want to make up for what happened earlier."

"I..." he swallowed audibly, "I think we should go..." He tried to turn away from me but I kept a firm hold on his hand. It was still loose enough that he could've easily pulled out of it if he wanted to, but for the moment at least, he let me stop him.

"David, I know you don't believe me, but I'm really not mad at you. I want you to be able to let this go."

He shook his head, "I can't, Angel. It was so wrong!"

"Yeah, it was, and I know that you know that, but you can't let it eat you up like this. You just made a mistake, I understand."

"No, you don't. What I did was unforgivable."

"Well obviously it wasn't, because I'm forgiving you." I set my other hand on top of his, cupping it between both of mine.

"I don't want forgiveness," he whispered.

"Of course you do, you just feel like you don't deserve it."

"Because I don't." He sounded weak, hopeless, and I wasn't about to let him feel that way.

"Yes David, you do. Remember all those things you told me at the hotel? About how the universe rewards goodness and by just being yourself, you deserve every good thing you get?"

"Yeah, but I was talking about you, Angel. You and your happy self. Your happy, beautiful, loving self. I'm not those things that I said. I'm not happy, or at least, not when I don't have you. I don't deserve good things, because I haven't done good things. All I've done is bad..."