81. We're Leaving

When class was over I asked Cam, "You wanna just drive me home and you can stay over for a while?"

He nodded, "Sounds good," and started towards the door, but stopped when I didn't follow him. "You coming?"

"I need to talk to Mr. Mitchell for a minute."

His eyes widened and he strode back over to me, "Uh, I don't think so."

I frowned, "What?"

"I mean, I like to get out of here before the rush of people. Sitting in that line of cars to leave is brutal." He grabbed my hand and tugged me towards the door, "Come on."

I pulled out of his grip before he could tighten it too much. "No Cam, I need to ask him what I missed yesterday."

"Oh, it was just a worksheet." He leaned over and plucked an extra copy off the desk at the front of the room. He offered it to me, "Here, I can help you with it at your house. Now let's go."

I seriously wanted to know what everyone's problem with Mr. M was. I mean come on, did you see him kick a puppy or something? "Alright I guess..." I muttered and stood to follow him.

"Angel, there was something else I needed to talk to you about," I heard the teacher say and I glanced over my shoulder at him. His expression was serious, but also worried. I guessed he wanted to know if Zach had done anything.

I smiled at him reassuringly, "If it's about earlier, I'm fine."

He shook his head, "No, it's something else."

I frowned, trying to think of any other reason he would need to talk to me, but I couldn't come up with one. I glanced at Cam and he subtly shook his head. "Uh, can it wait until tomorrow?" I asked Mr. Mitchell.

"I don't think so."

I shrugged helplessly at Cam and he obviously didn't like it, but he huffed and leaned against a desk, signaling that he wasn't going anywhere. I turned to the teacher again, "What is it?"

He looked over my shoulder at Cam, "Can we please have a minute?" Okay, now we had to be alone too? What on Earth is he going to say?

Since my back was to Cam now I couldn't see how he reacted, but his tone was slightly cold when he said, "I'm her best friend. She's going to tell me what you said later anyway so let's just save some time, yeah?"

The teacher continued to stare over my shoulder and his expression made it seem like he was weighing a decision, but eventually he sighed. "Alright." His gaze turned to me again and the look in his eyes was one of concern. "I've just been wondering how you're holding up," he said softly.

My brow knit together, "Holding up? What do you mean?"

"You know, about the whole... Squid thing." I heard the creak of a desk and could imagine Cam standing up.

Squid thing? I thought with confusion. What does he mean? The only thing that happened was... No, he couldn't know about that. I decided to play the fool, just to make sure that's what he was referring to. "I'm afraid I don't know what you mean," I said slowly.

He studied my face solicitously, as if searching for something. "I've noticed that you haven't been active on your medias since it happened."

I could faintly feel my pulse throughout my body. It wasn't speeding up, just becoming heavier and more noticeable. How could he have found out? Surely they didn't put anything about his arrest in the papers or something, I mean they have to respect people's privacy. "How do you know about that?" I asked, trying to hide my suspiciousness, but I don't think I was doing a very good job.