Chapter 71

---Maura's P.O.V.---

I don't remember exactly what happened, but one moment I was in the shop, and the next I was stuck under something heavy. I just remember being choked by the weight, and the heavy smoke unlike any other clouding my lungs. Normally, smoke wouldn't bother me, but something is different about this. I tried pushing it off of me but it was no use, I was trapped. I blacked out, waking up a few hours later. When I woke, Jacob was there, as well as an unconsious Ciel who was badly beaten, and Elenore who looked worried sick. Lucy and Gray were also there, beaten but not bad. Wendy was next to Ciel, treating his wounds with her magic. I sat up, alterting Elenore and the others. I began coughing, not able to breath correctly due to the smoke inhalation. When I looked at my clothing, I found it seared and torn, and where I was coughing there was black soot.
"Wow, hey are you okay, Maura?" asked a worried Gray.
"Yeah, I'm fin-" I started coughing again, "fine. I'm fine."
"Well, I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure it isn't normal to cough up soot and ash. How long were you trapped back there?"
"I'm... Not sure. One moment I was shopping and the next I was under a heavy beam. I couldn't even move it off of me the way I was pinned. I don't understand though, fire is my element. How was I so injured by it? It shouldn't have affected me so much." More coughing as I finished speaking.
Jacob rushed to get me water, and came back carrying a glass and gently handing it to me so he wouldn't spill. I thanked him and drank it slowly.
The others seemed to be thinking about the question I had just asked myself. Elenore came over and sat down next to me, soon wrapping her arms around me and craddling her head into the crook of my neck.
"I should've gone with you. Even if it was just a trip to the shop, I should've gone." she whispered softly into my ear. "I'm sorry, Maura."
"It's fine really, I'm not even that hurt. I'm just wondering why the fire was too strong for me. I mean, we are fire. Nothing fire related should be able to harm us." I answered just as softly as she, putting my arms around her.
"Well, maybe we need to train more. Maybe our powers aren't as strong as the new magics being created. Were just lacking in strength, I'm sure."
Night came quickly and with a chill. Everyone huddled up for warmth by the fire and wrapped tightly under blankets. I however, couldn't sleep. I was haunted by memories of being so helpless, and the little sleep I did manage were nightmares.
I'm my dream, we were being attacked. I couldn't tell where we were because of all the destruction, but I could tell it used to be some sort of town. It was large, demon like creatures, but unlike any we've ever seen before. The creatures were in a vast quantity, overpowering all of us with ease. Poor Wendy was trying to heal us all at once, making her an easy target, and she was taken out first. Next, Lucy was doing her best to fight with Summer, but she was using her last spirit and it was going down quickly. When it vanished, the demon swiped at her abdomen, making her fall. Summer took notice, and it filled with with overwhelming emotions, and he continued fighting for the loss of his friend. Then, Elenore and Ciel were fighting together, doing wonderfully. He read the attacks before they even hit and warned her just in time, but when something snuck up on him and silenced him for good, Elenore couldn't get another hit and went down with Ciel by her side.
Next, Gray and Jacob. They were pretty good at fighting together and had developed a stratagy that was really working for them. Gray would freeze them, and Jacob would demolish them. The only thing that wasn't working was a the sheer numbers alone were too much. Gray couldn't freeze them fast enough, and Jacob couldn't finish them off in time. They were both killed before my eyes. Summer was the last to go, and it was because he was out of magic. He was trying his best to reach me, but fell at my feet just a few meters away. The last thing I saw before waking up were his face. I read "Avenge us." on his lips just before she stopped breathing for good. I was left alone with monsters looming nearby, and the fear kept me silenced and still. I couldn't move, only watch as one by one, all my friend and family were killed.
I was hugging my knees and watched as the sun rose, watching the light travel up my legs, then torso, and chest as the time passed. When it reached my face however, I scooted back into the darkness and waited for anyone to wake up.
'Avenge us. What does that dream mean?'