Chapter 48

---Elenore's P.O.V.---

"H-hey." I said, flustered that he heard me singing. He stayed silent for a minute, seemingly dazed by something.
"Oh... Hi." it was really awkward talking to him... Nobody has ever heard me sing besides my mother and myself, not even Ciel has heard me sing before.
"Uh... How long have you been a-awake?" I asked.
"For a while now. I like your voice."
My face felt really hot, and I'm sure I'm red with embarrassment. "Thanks..."
It went silent for a few moments, and I decided I would talk first.
"How do you feel. I mean... You got pretty beat up out there."
"Huh? Oh uh... I feel fine. What about you?"
"Oh I'm fine. I'm barely scrachted compared to you two."
Another few moments of silence.
"How long were we unconscious?"
"Only a few hours. Here, you should eat something." I pulled out a few snacks and handed them to him.
"Thanks." I waited for him to finish eating before speaking again.
"So... I don't mean to pry, but what was your life like back at home?"
"What do you mean?"
"You know, like... What did you do back on Earth? Friends? School?"
"Oh. I had a few friends when I was little but we ended up moving away from eachother. Then in high school I found them again. Then I found out from Sabastion about this place, and gave up everything. It was kinda hard at first... I really missed my mother but after she died..." he paused for a minute.
"I understand. My mother died before I left Earth, and I didn't leave my room for weeks. But I realised something, she would be devastated if she found out that I stopped living after she did. So, I moved forward." I gave him a reassuring smile.
It was now a more comfortable silence than before.
"... So... What about here? Do you like living here?"
"Yeah. I like it, but it's different. You know?"
"Yeah. Its nice though, I like being able to roam around and not have to worry about being hit by a car." I chuckled. He joined.
"That's true. Its nice out here."
It was quiet for a bit again, then I remembered something I overheard him and Ciel talking about. 'I'll ask him later...'
I smiled and leaned back, laying my back down onto the cool grass. A soft breeze was starting to pick up, and blew a strand of my hair over my face. I sighed and closed my eyes.
"So... Like anyone?"
I heard his breath hitch and laughed to myself.
"I'll take that as a yes then. So... Who is it?"
"N-nobody. I don't like anyone."
"Oh? You don't like anyone... Does that mean that you love someone?"
"N-no." I heard the hesitation in his voice. "I don't believe you, Jacob."
"Yeah? Well why not!?"
"Because." I leaned close to his ear a whispered, "I can hear your hesitation every time you answer." I leaned back again and looked at his face. He looked horrified! I tried to hold back my laughter as best I could.
"Oh wow! You should see your face!" I laughed.
"W-was this all a joke!? That wasn't funny Elenore!"
I stopped laughing and looked at him, more seriously this time.
"No, I'm sorry I wasn't trying to turn it into a joke. It was a genuine question. It was just your face was so funny!" I smiled again. He looked down and started at his hands. I could tell he was thinking of something important.
I myself started thinking about what I overheard... I could hear someone's name but not very clearly.
"I know you like -le-or."
"I know you like -lenore."
"I know you like Elenore."
I gasped. How could I be so stupid! They guy who's been crushing on me for who knows how long... I just asked him who he likes! No wonder why he was so hesitant to answer! I looked to him.
"Jacob."
"Yeah?"
"I-I'm... I'm sorry. I didn't..."
"What? You didn't what?"
I whispered, "I didn't know it was me..."