Chapter 69

---Summer's P.O.V.---

I can't believe how strong he was. His magic is nothing like I've ever seen before, being able to control people like your puppets is just wrong. I had to fight him and Lucy at the same time, and she kept summoning spirit after spirit. When she ran out of available spirits, he forced her to fight me with no magic. I couldn't hurt her though, she's my friend. When I finally did defeat him, Lucy was able to move freely again but was almost completely out of magic and blacked out.
I had to carry her and Gray at the same time, then go back to retrieve Griffin's body.
'How is everyone going to take the news...'
Next we focused on looking for a way out. It took about 2 hours for us all to leave, and when we reached the surface is about the time Gray had started to come around. Lucy came to when we were about a mile from the town, and walked the rest of the way.
When we finally arrived, we brought the lost to their famlies one-by-one. First the 2 little girls, then the elderly, then mothers and fathers, and last, Jason. He had insisted that he was last so he could make sure everyone got home safely even though Lucy and I were the ones returning them home. We walked to his mother's door, and Lucy was the one to knock and was eager to see her.
We all heard a muffled "Be there in a minute, dear!" and footsteps coming towards the door, and finally, the latch. The door creacked and she poked her head around the corner, taking in our presence and then opening the door all the way in awe.
"Jason? Jason! You're finally home!" she envelopped him in a tight hug, thanking Lucy and I over and over before finally realizing Griffin in my arms.
She stayed silent for a moment and looked to Lucy, noticing the tear welling up in her eye.
"I-I'm sorry for your loss. If I would have known..."
"It's alright. I'm just happy everyone is home. He gladly gave his life for everyone to return safely."
She wrapped Lucy in a hug as well, before pulling the rest of us in, Jason included. It felt like we were our own little family reuniting, like we were a part of the town. We were all mourning the loss of a family member, even though they didn't know him too much. They both still cried the same bitter tears as we did.

---Time skip 1 day---

We finally arrived back in town and prepared a funeral for the following day. Everyone that we had saved were wanting to come, and I'm sure all the townspeople wanted to as well.

---Elenore's P.O.V.---

I heard that Lucy and the rest of the team has just arrived in town so I've decided to go and visit. I raced over to the docks with Ciel by my side to hopefully catch them in time. Unfortunantly, I've just barely missed them. I decided to wander around for a bit to find them, and eventually did just outside the mortuary.
"Hey guys! What's... Up...? Guys? Why are you-" as I came closer I saw that they were crying and my heart pounded harder and faster inside my chest.
Realization hit me like a bullet. Someone had died.
"Lucy? What's happened?"
She looked up at me with tearful eyes and as she spoke her voice cracked in various places, "Griffin... He... Griffin died."