Chapter 71.

John's POV.

My side is aching. The ride here was difficult because the running kept jarring my wound. It's not bleeding again thankfully.

Alpha Grace rode with me the rest of the way to help keep me steady. I am thankful for that. It would be hurting worse if it wasn't for her.

It's nighttime by the time we arrive at her pack. We head straight to the pack house. I can still feel the steady pressure of her hands on my hips as she keeps me steady.

I'm exhausted and ready for sleep. That's all I want to do lately. I think I'm becoming depressed. I've seen what losing a mate can do to someone. I don't want that to happen to me.

Losing my mind and going crazy with grief. It's starting to affect me more then I care to admit. I'm guessing that's why I won't speak to anyone really. I'm not even sure why I'm willing to speak with Alpha Grace.

She was the first person I spoke to after everything happened. I just can't stand everyone's looks of pity when they see me. I didn't want to hear the words they would say to try and comfort me. I just didn't want to listen. I didn't want my family to see me slowly changing from the one they've always known. I didn't want to be anywhere near where she died.

I just didn't want to be there anymore and when Alpha Grace asked me if I wanted to join her back to her pack. It was like a wish had been answered. I agreed, even though I'd miss my family a lot. I needed to get myself into a good mindset. I had to do what was best for me.

The wolf we were on stops by the door to the pack house. Alpha Grace steps off and turns towards me. She offers a hand and I take it. I let her help me get off of the wolf.

The wolf then heads off. " Come on, we will make a stop at the pack doctor and have him check your side. After that we will get some dinner and then I'll show you your room. " she said.

I merely nodded in reply. We walk into the pack house. My bag on my back. My hands were shaking from holding onto the fur of the wolf for so long.

My hurt hand hurt worse then the other. I had to fight through the pain most of the ride here in order to hold on. Thankfully, with Alpha Grace's help I was able to let it rest some.

She leads me down a few different hallways. Old paintings hung on the wall. They looked like hand drawn paintings of wolves. They were beautiful.

She saw me admiring them. " Beautiful aren't they?" She said. I nod in reply. " When I made this pack, lots of pack members had to do something to cope with what they had been through. Some of them were artists and drew these paintings for me as a thank you for taking them in. It only seemed right that I frame them and put them up on the walls. "

I give a small smile to her. It is really sweet. She deserves a thank you for all she's doing for wolves out there going through rejection and loss. She definitely deserves the title of Alpha.

" I've had many people here make me things. Stuff for holidays that I can hang on the front porch. It gives them joy to see their creations hanging outside or inside for the world to see. " she then looked at me. " They welcome each new pack members with one of these. "

She reached into her pocket and brought out a little flat circle piece of stone. It had something engraved in it. " On this side it say your name and what you survived and on the other side, it say words of encouragement that the pack has decided to give you. They gave me this. "

He placed it in my good hand. I looked at it. It said, Alpha Grace, she survived abuse and rejection. On the other side it said. Never let the world get you down, cherish the little things you have and push on with a smile.

I couldn't help the fond smile on my face. Those words couldn't ring more true. That's exactly what she does here. She really is amazing.

I hand it back to her and she puts it back into her pocket. " you'll have one soon. I'll announce tomorrow that you'll be staying with us for a while as one of our own. " she says.

I nod. We then head back in the direction of the pack doctor. We walk in. " Alpha Grace, you made it safely I hope. " says a male walking up to her.

" Always. It's good to see you Ted. " she said.

Ted grinned at her. He then looked at me. " Hello. I'm Ted, the pack doctor. " he says holding his hand out.

I held up my right hand to show it was hurt and I couldn't shake his. His expression changed to one of concern. " Goodness. I'm so sorry. I didn't know. Are you ok?"

" Ted, this is John. He's from Alpha George's pack, now Alpha Kurt's. " she said.

He nodded in understanding. " We actually came here to ask if you could check his wounds. He was attacked by humans who had silver. The ride here aggravated the wounds a bit. " she said.

" Right away. John, why don't you take a seat on the table right there. I'll grab some new bandages. " he said walking off.

I followed his instructions and sat on the bed. He soon returned with everything he needed and gently took my hurt hand into his.

He removed the wrappings and took a close look at the wounds. " This is caused by a silver bear trap. " he said.

" Ted is the best pack doctor I know. He's treated someone who's lost a limb before. Someone who was told they'd never walk again. They are now walking. He may even be able to help you get full use of your hand again. " says Alpha Grace.

I looked back at him. " I will definitely see what I can do. The stitches are fine. I'm just going to run some disinfectant over the stitches and then wrap it back up. " he said.

I nodded in reply. He soon finished up with that and then I showed him the wound on my side. He nodded. " They did excellent work on these wounds. The stitches are well done. They were pulled a little so it will be sore for a day or two. You should heal up nicely there.  " he said doing the same thing to it that he did to my hand.

He then backed up. " Come back sometime this week. I want to do an X-ray on your hand to see if there's anything I can do to further your movement in your hand. " he said.

I nodded. " I know losing a mate is hard. Song let yourself fall into depression kid. " says Ted.

I look at him with wide eyes. How did he know? He smiled softly at me. " I lost my mate two months after we got married. Everyone blamed me for what happened. I was kicked out of my pack and Alpha Grace found me about two years ago. I'd been working as a doctor on humans for about five years by that point. That's why I know so much. " he said.

He then sighed. " I know what it's like to want to sink into that depression. You feel like you have nothing left. That's where your wrong. This pack will be good for you. I'm going to prescribe you some anti depressants and some pain medication. I want you to take both. Once I see you being really happy we can divide if you need to continue the mends or quit them. " he said.

I nodded him thanks. Some meds to help me feel better sound great. I'm all for it. " Good. It might even get you speaking again. For now go get something to eat. I'll drop them off by your room tonight. " he said.

I nodded again and stood up. " Thanks Ted. " says Alpha Grace.

He nodded and got to work. I left following her down the halls. Maybe this pack will do me a lot of good. Guess only time will tell.

Comment and vote.

A/N. Hey guys. I am doing so much better. I got a new calm down medicine and I feel more like my old self then I have in the past year. It's been fantastic. I hope this chapter was worth the wait. Let me know who's POV you want next. Until next time guys. :-)