Chapter 345

Matt's POV: Once I finished making some Zoo pancakes for Louie, I smiled as I went to put his plate on the table before going to continue with some pancakes for me and Gabby. "So listen Greg, I was hoping that I could keep you in charge of all personnel matters when it comes to Ambo, Engine and Truck 71? By the way, sorry we renamed your trucks but kept mine." Delaney nodded when I said that. "Oh, it's fine. At least we get to represent the 71." I nodded and smiled.

"Technically, we all represent the 71. Now, since we have such a big crew...I made sure that the house had 2 equal sides. I am not expecting our crews to integrate but...there are bedrooms and offices for each other us on both sides of the firehouse. I would like you to try and get your guys to come over to our side. And maybe...just for a while, we can institute house dinners? I mean, not that I am going to be at them. I am going to come up here and eat with the family if I can."

Delaney smiled when I said that. "Listen Casey, I get we had problems at first but...you are my chief. I am your deputy chief. You set the rules and you do whatever you need to do to make sure that you have a good work-family life balance." I nodded and agreed with him. "I am thinking of taking Gabby and Louie to the beach after the ceremonies. I mean, we need to get out of here sometimes." Delaney laughed when I said that. "You sure that's a good idea with COVID?"

I looked at him when he said that. "Delaney, I have a toddler who needs to get his energy out. I would rather do it at the beach instead of here in the firehouse." Delaney then shrugged when I said that and agreed with me. "So listen, I want to talk to you about Truck 71. I want Hermann to be above O'Connor in seniority. I know it's me trying to play favorites...at least that must be what you're thinking but, he's been with the CFD longer than I've been alive." 

That's when I saw that me and Gabby's pancakes were ready. Going to grab a plate, I went to put my pancakes on them. "Hey Louie, come get breakfast!" Louie then got up from the couch and went to walk over to the table to eat. I then smiled when I went to grab me and Gabby's plates. "Do you mind if I sit here with my family? We are trying to keep routines when it comes to us eating together and stuff." Delaney nodded and understood. "Of course."

He then looked at me. "If you want, I can let you guys have time before all this. I can go set up my office downstairs?" I smiled when he said that and was about to answer when Gabby came out wearing a tight dress. "I'd like that Delaney, thanks." Delaney smiled when Gabby said that while I just stared at her. "I would like that too Greg." Delaney laughed and agreed. "Calm down Chief, you need to be professional today remember?" I nodded and agreed.

Getting up from the table, I walked over to Gabby and smiled as I went to wrap my arms around her. Kissing her softly, I smiled at her. "You look great. And we are definitely going to the beach later." Gabby nodded when I said that. "I already talked to Jay and Erin, they are coming to the opening since they are our liaisons. I offered them a chance to join us if that's okay. I want to be with friends a bit too." I nodded and agreed with her. "Severide's coming."

Gabby smiled when I said that and kissed me quickly. "Listen Delaney, we will see you soon okay? Can you maybe help with the setup?" Delaney nodded and agreed. "Sure thing Chief." I then smiled when he said that, watching him leave. Once he was gone, I turned to look at Gabby and wrapped my arms around her while going to kiss her again. "God, I am going to have to ask your brother to watch Louie after the opening so that I can take this off."

Gabby nodded and agreed with me as she kissed me slowly for another minute. Eventually though, we let each other go so that we could eat breakfast together before the opening ceremony in an hour.