25 Weeks Pregnant

Matt's POV: When Erin said that she was 25 weeks pregnant, that hit a bit close to home consider that was when Gabby went into premature labor. Taking a minute to compose myself, I took a breath and sighed. "Sorry if that number of weeks is a bit hard to hear." Jay and Erin both nodded when I said that. Erin then went to grab my hand and sighed. "It's why I was so hesitant to say it. I knew that it would be hard for you to hear." I nodded when she said that, sighing.

"Honestly, I think it's hard to believe that she went into labor with twins. That's already not normal considering you do it before you go into labor." Jay nodded when I said that. "I am just glad that she's safe Matt. What is she doing right now?" I then laughed. "She's having girl time right now. Her mom is there. Thought me and Louie would some guy time...right Louie?" Louie looked up at me when I said that. "We are just having lunch. Home after to help Gabby."

Jay nodded when I said that. "You ready for some uninterrupted sleep?" I then looked at him. "Jay, I haven't had a night without waking up since we gave birth. God, I am still worried as to whether I am even going to be able to go back to the firehouse because that's where she went into labor. I mean, she was so early and went into labor in the firehouse." That's when I heard co-Chief Delaney walk up to me. "Don't worry, we already cleaned that spot on the ground Matt."

Looking up at him, I smiled when he said that and agreed with him. "What are the odds that we both come here at the same time?" Delaney laughed when I said that. "How are you Detectives Halstead?" Erin looked at him when he said that. "It's Lindsay." He then nodded and agreed. "My apologies. Not normal for a wife to not take her husband's name were I'm from." I then turned to look at him. "Careful what you say next Delaney. My wife is still Gabriela Dawson with the CFD."

Delaney was about to say something when I decided to remind him of something. "And please remember that while you have the honor of being co-Chief of Firehouse 71...that is just an honorific. According to all CFD documentation, I am still Chief and you are the Deputy Chief. So, watch your mouth and remember that I can take the honorific title and the privileges that come with it at any time Delaney. The CFD agreed that it was just honorific since I have seniority!"

Delaney nodded and agreed when me. "You have a good lunch Chief, I will see you when you're back." I nodded and agreed when he said that before watching him walk away. Jay then looked at me when that happened. "Okay, what was that all about?" I sighed and looked at him. "Firehouse 51 contributed to the majority of equipment...so I became Chief. He wasn't happy that he became Deputy Chief so I offered him the honor of being Co-Battalion Chief."

Jay nodded when I said that and just listened to me. "But that's all it is...all the power lies in my hands at the end of the day since I am the only one listed as Battalion Chief on the paperwork. He is listed as Deputy Battalion Chief and I can always revoke his status as co-Battalion Chief at any time since I am just technically delegating powers to him. It's like what Hank does with you and Antonio when he's out. He keeps the power but lets you act with it for a while."

Erin nodded when I said that when we all saw our salad come out. "Here you go Matt. And by the way, Delaney has been pretty good. He really co-Chief now?" I nodded when Stella asked me that. "Yeah, but it's just honorific. I am technically still the Battalion Chief...but he has the powers of co-Battalion Chief as long as he is in my good graces. He has no official powers. I just let him act on them. I am still Chief if you look at the paperwork." She agreed and smiled.

"Listen, I wanted to ask this...can me and Severide maybe?" I then sighed and shook my head. "The only reason I am out is because Louie needs a little time with his daddy right now. Once we are done eating, we are on our way home to have time with the babies and Gabby. So, we are going to have to schedule a first meeting sometime...just not yet considering we just got home." Stella nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "I want to meet them someday." I agreed.

"Believe me Stella, me and Gabby want nothing more than to host you and Severide so that you can meet our twins. But right now, we need some R&R at home with Louie. I hope you guys understand." Stella nodded when I said that. "Hey, of course we understand Matt. You guys have been through a lot. Now listen, I am going to get Louie his lunch." I nodded and smiled when she said that. "Thanks Stella." Stella then walked away and smiled when I got a text from Gabby.

'You're staying safe right?' I agreed and went to text her back. 'We're on the patio at Molly's with Jay and Erin. She's preggo so she's safe' Gabby agreed when I said that. 'You have 45 til' feeding. I'm pumping rn. He needs nap.' I agreed when she said that. 'I'll be home by then. Love you. xo' I then went to set my phone down and smiled at Jay and Erin. "I have 45 minutes." They both agreed and nodded as I went to grab some of the salad we ordered for the table.

"By the way, you guys see all the gifts in the living room?" I was confused when he said that. "What gifts?" Jay just looked at me. "At the firehouse in your living room." I then laughed. "Oh that, we don't live there anymore...we live at the duplex we used to own/that we own again from when we first got married." Jay then sighed when I said that. "Then you have some at the firehouse apartment. You guys happy to be back there?" I nodded and smiled. "Yeah."

Erin then smiled at him. "God, you are glowing. I thought it was only girls that glow when you have a newborn." I laughed when she said that. "Well, that's not the case for us. I have always wanted biological kids and now we do. But Louie, you remember that doesn't mean that I love you any less." Louie nodded when I said that. He then got up and came to give me a hug. "I love you too daddy and I am so happy that you and mommy are home." I nodded and smiled.

"Listen bud, how about you go eat lunch and then we can go home to mommy okay?" He nodded and smiled when I said that, ready to go back to Gabby because he missed her.