Chapter 367

Matt's POV: As I came to sit in my office with Lieutenant Tom Carving of Truck 71's 1st Shift, I smiled when I checked my phone to see I got a text from Gabby with a very sexy picture of her in lingerie. 'For later' I could tell she was a little hormonal (not that I was complaining) when I went to put my mask on. I then looked at Carving as he sat down in my office. "Just to let you know that you are not in trouble." Carving nodded and agreed. "You can never tell when it comes to Delaney. His voice is so deep that you can only guess if you are in trouble or not." I nodded.

"Listen, I just wanted to check in on you and see how you are doing with the transition to a major house. Are you going to be okay with us being a hub house...like we get the big calls?" Carving nodded when I said that. "Of course Chief. You just tell me what to do and when, and I will do it." I agreed with him and nodded. I then decided to text Delaney. 'I am just going to speak to your Lieutenants instead of everybody...can you change who you are sending?' I then went back to speaking to Carving. "Listen, so do you have any questions regarding this change?"

Carving sighed when I asked him that. "Honestly, I am just a little confused as to why you where chosen as Chief when we barely know you and you are so young." I then looked at him when he said that. "Are you questioning my leadership Carving? Because I do have the right to discipline you. I am your Chief and you can always request a transfer if you are not okay here at 71. Now, would you like to question my leadership again?" I then decided to text Delaney again. 'Can you come join us? He is questioning my leadership.' Delaney agreed. 'On my way Chief.'

I agreed with him. "Carving listen, I get you are stuff mourning your chief. However, I am going to get Delaney in here and we are both going to talk to you." He sighed and knew that he was in trouble when I called Delaney in. Walking up to my office, I saw Delaney knock. "You wanted me Chief?" I nodded and looked at him. "Carving here is questioning as to why I was chosen as Chief because we barely know each other and I am so young." Delaney nodded when I said that. "Believe me, I felt the same way but...he is a good chief Carving. Is this your grief?"

Carving sighed and shook his head. "I still think you should be our chief. Nobody wanted this merger." Delaney sighed and looked at me. "Well, we don't always get our way. Chief Casey has been chosen by the CFD to lead the firehouse since Firehouse 51 was the larger house and they are the ones contributing to a majority of the equipment and manpower for the new house." I nodded when he said that. "Exactly. Now you see why I was appointed Chief instead of you." Delaney nodded when I said that. "I just realized that. Makes complete sense now!"

I nodded and agreed with him. "Carving listen, if you do not feel like you are okay working here under my leadership...you can request a transfer and I will approve it. However, until you make that move...you are to respect my authority over you and Firehouse 71 as a whole...is that understood Carving?" Carving nodded and agreed with me. "Yes Chief." I then went to look at Delaney. "Can you send me in Lt. Kidd please?" Delaney was confused when I said that. "Why, she's from your old house." I then sighed when he said that. "Delaney, don't question me."

Delaney then nodded and agreed as he went to get up and brought Carving out of my office so that he could send Stella into my office. Meanwhile, I went to go turn on my laptop (plugging it into the external monitor and the keyboard) before going to bringing up my e-mail so that I could send an e-mail out with the notes from the briefing earlier. I wanted them to be able to read it themselves at home tomorrow. I made sure to put it in the e-mail that they are to read it before shift tomorrow so that they remember what they are to do on shift tomorrow.

That's when I heard Stella come in. "You wanted to talk to me Matt?" I nodded when she said that. "Yes, you can call me Matt in private. Just not in front of the new guys." She agreed and smiled as she came to join me in my office. "What can I do for you?" I then went to turn to look at her and sighed. "I need you to keep an eye on Carving for me." Stella was shocked when I said that. "Why exactly?" I then sighed. "He's not happy that I have been appointed Battalion Chief here at Firehouse 71 instead of Delaney. Delaney already knows but...can you just watch out?"

Stella then said something that got me a bit worried. "Do you think the old members of Firehouse 20 are going to try and sabotage us to try and get the CFD to rethink your leadership?" I then thought about it and sighed. "I have no clue honestly. I hope not but...can you maybe just keep an eye out for that for me? Discreetly with Severide's help of course. I shouldn't think that way but...I can't help but think this way because I am worried for you guys. I don't want you guys to get hurt." Stella agreed and nodded when I said that. "I promise Chief, you can count on me."

 I nodded when Stella said that and smiled as she got up. I then looked at her. "O'Connor and O'Dell please." Stella nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "I will send them in Chief." I smiled when she said that, watching her walk away before going back to my e-mails.