Chapter 413

Matt's POV: After making my way out to my mini-office that I have set up in the apartment, I went to take my laptop out since I might as well do whatever Jake needs me to do quickly to get him out of both me and Delaney's hair. "So, what seems to be the problem Jake?" Jake then sighed. "About a month ago...I put in the required papers online to take my paternity leave from July 15th until  August 31st. I haven't gotten approval from Delaney yet. I didn't expect you to do it because of Gabby." I agreed with him when he said that. "When's Melanie due?"

Jake sighed. "That's the thing...she's due end of August but, the baby could come early August. And with COVID tests being backed up, the hospital might not let me in so...I was going to quarantine from mid-July so I could be there without having to worry about COVID." I agreed with him when he said that. "That makes sense. And Delaney hasn't approved it yet?" He agreed. "Yeah and we are coming down to a time crush. And I need to know today if I need to put in for Vacation by 5 pm or if I am getting paternity leave. Remember, 2 week notification."

I agreed with him. "Well listen, I am going to approve it okay? I get it as a dad and I promise that you are going to get it. I am going to also call Delaney and put in a request for a floater for you." Jake agreed with me. "Thanks Matt.  Now before I go, how are the kids and Gabby?" I smiled when he asked me. "They are doing great. They are all finally home so that's a relief. A big weight lifted off my shoulders. I was worried about COVID of course." Jake agreed with me. "Thanks, now I just need to figure out this crib for Melanie." I agreed. "Good luck. Talk later."

He agreed and went to hang up. Meanwhile, I went to log onto my laptop so that I could approve his leave. Opening up my HR management software, I looked at all the requests we had and I was shocked at just how backed up we were. Everybody has put in for vacation and I just sighed. Getting up, I went to walk back over to the bedroom. Popping my head in, I looked at Gabby. "Hey babe?" Gabby then looked at me. "What's up?" I sighed and looked at her. "I need to do a bit of firehouse work." She then glared at me.

"Delaney has been slacking off. A whole bunch of our friends' furlough requests haven't been approved and I just had to approve Cordova's paternity leave request myself. He had to call me because he needed to know whether he had to take vacation. You need 2 weeks notice by 5 pm remember?" Gabby nodded when I said that. "God, and everybody put in?" I nodded. "And Delaney hasn't done any of it. I'm sorry but..." Gabby then agreed. "You need to get it done so that people are guaranteed to get the time off."

I agreed with her. "Listen, I know I should be with you and the kids but...I also have a job to work out. And I need to talk to Delaney." Gabby agreed with me when I said that. "Make sure he knows that this can't happen again. Oh, and maybe start supper? We just had a snack but it's getting late." I nodded when she said that. "Of course. I will do that once I am done talking to Delaney." I then went to walk over to her in bed. Leaning over her, I went to kiss her and smiled. "Want to come watch a bit of TV in the living room Louie or you staying here?"

Louie then looked at me. "Can I stay here with mommy?" I agreed and nodded when he asked me that. "Of course Louie. You just stay calm for mommy okay? Just call for me if he needs anything. You stay in bed as much as possible." Gabby agreed with me. "Just after I go to the washroom." I agreed with her. "Do you mind if I start now or would you rather I stay in here?" Gabby then smiled at me. "No, you start. You can hear the babies out there." I then smiled. "I put a baby monitor on my desk just in case." Gabby smiled when I said that.

She then walked up to the cribs and went to turn on the twins' baby monitors. "There, now you can go work while also looking at them." I smiled and agreed with her. "I love you. Tonight, I am going to give you a massage. I promise." Gabby agreed with me and nodded when I said that, walking away to the washroom. Meanwhile, I went to walk over to my desk so that I could call Delaney regarding his delayed response to furlough requests as well as approve them myself.