Chapter 369

Matt's POV: After doing a few more drills here at the house and eating lunch as a house, I smiled as me and Deputy Chief Delaney made our way back onto the apparatus floor. "Okay everybody. Listen, we want to thank you all for being such great sports. As you can see, some of the ambulances have been reactivated and they are doing their shifts today. However, you guys are not activated yet. Instead, you are going to be getting in your gear and in the trucks to the academy." Severide then looked at me when I said that. "We are doing water drills as a team."

Everybody nodded when I said that. "However, Truck 81 and Engine 71 work together...as well as Truck 71 and Engine 51. We are still learning to co-operate. Meanwhile, Severide you can do training here at the house. Or you can dismiss your crew. Kannell and Hunter can stay if they want since they aren't working tomorrow." Kannell and Hunter both nodded when I said that. Delaney however just looked at me. "Do you mind if I work with the squad? I have never done that really and I would like to see how it works. Maybe I can take lead on Squad?" I then sighed.

I then shook my head. "I am going to let my Squad Lieutenants work their crews the way they want. They are specially trained to be Squad Lieutenants. I know it's a good idea but...I trust Severide with my life when it comes to the Squad. You would have to learn it first. If you want to take the initiative and do squad...I can reconsider. But until you are squad certified, I want you to take lead on Engines." Delaney nodded and understood. "Of course Chief. Now, you want me to stay here for when the Ambos come back?" I then remembered that.

"That reminds me, Paramedics!" The paramedics then turned to look at me. "Effective immediately until end of shift, you are all active. Exception is shift 1. Shifts 2 and 3, stay and be paramedics!" They all nodded and understood when I said that. "I am going to go with Truck 81 to go do some drills at the Academy okay Delaney?" Delaney nodded and agreed. "Would you like me to stay here?" I nodded. "Can you just keep an eye on the house if anything happens? Maybe organize your office and contact the academy regarding Squad stuff?" 

Delaney nodded when I said that. "I will do that Chief Casey." I nodded and smiled when I turned to look at the Trucks and Engines. "Truck, Engine...gear up and let's get out of here. I am just going to go tell Gabby and grab my jacket. I left it upstairs when we moved." They all agreed and nodded. "Bring your radios as well. We are going to work with them." They all agreed and nodded when I said that when Hermann looked at me. "You riding with us Chief or do you want us to go ahead and get set up at the Academy?" I then bit my lip. "I'll meet you in the Jeep."

They all nodded and agreed with me. Meanwhile, I went to go into the apartment to let Gabby know what was going on. Grabbing my keys to the apartment, I smiled when I came to join Gabby in the living room of our home. Looking at me while wearing her robe, Gabby smiled at me. "You done for the day?" I then sighed and looked at her. "You have no idea how much I want to say yes so that I can take off that robe. I am just letting you know that I am going to the academy to go do water drills with the house. I will be back after okay? Maybe another 90 minutes. After that, I am all yours for the rest of the day." Gabby smiled when I said that.

"I love the sound of that." She then went to get up and smiled as she walked over to me. Wrapping her arms around my neck, she kissed me softly while I grabbed her back. "How about you wake Louie up and instead of him napping while I am gone...he can nap when I get home so that I can rest for a while with you in bed?" Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded. "Sounds perfect." I smiled when she said that, giving her one last kiss before leaving to go do water drills with the firehouse at the Academy for the next 90 minutes.

NOTE: I am not writing the water drills at the Academy. I am going to skip 2 hours to when Matt is back at the house and they are alone for the rest of the day.