Chapter 389

Matt's POV: After talking to Natalie in the hallway, I sighed as I came back into the hospital room. Unfortunately...they news I got from her was not the news I wanted. She spoke to other doctors that work in the NICU regarding my questions, and they all agreed that we should stay for 8 weeks here at the hospital. Looking at Gabby as she played on her iPad, I went to sit next to her on the bed "9 of hearts on 10 of Spade." Gabby then looked up at me and smiled. "Thanks. What did the doctors say?" Looking at her, I knew she was going to be disappointed.

"Unfortunately, you are stuck here with the babies for about 2 months. They wanted it to be just the babies originally but...I put my foot down and said that you are not leaving our kids. They understood and agreed that we can stay like this for as long as we want. I am going to stay here because I know it's what you want and need." Gabby sighed when I said that. "But what about Louie? He needs his parents too." I sighed and looked at her. "But not as much as you need your husband right now. Gabby, don't lie to me and say that you would be fine with me gone instead of being here with you!"

Gabby sighed when I said that because we both knew it was the truth. "I guess I am just scared that Louie is going to think that we are going to love the babies more than we will love him. I know that's not the case but..." I then sighed when she said that and looked at her. "Maybe I can keep busy during the day by doing firehouse office work and getting he babies' rooms ready. Then we can rotate spending the night here with the babies. How does that sound?" Biting her lip, I could tell that Gabby was reluctant to my proposal. However, she didn't outright shut it down. "Can I think of it? Right now I am much more scared of them dying than...." I went to stop her when she said that. "Hey, I don't even want you to think that way okay? They are not dying on us."

Gabby sighed (again) when I said that but (reluctantly) agreed with me. "8 weeks. What could be so hard?"

Note: I am not writing their hospital stay. I will do posts to allow you to know what happens over the next 6 weeks. This might include journal entries, letters and dreams for the next few chapters before continuing.