Chapter 355

Matt's POV: Once Antonio came up to my office to join me and Deputy Chief Delaney, I got up and smiled at him. Walking over to him, I went to hug him. "Gabby texted me and said she wanted me to come over. She's still processing the fact we have a half-sibling and she wants to talk about it with me." I nodded and understood. "Of course, I get that because I am going through the same. Now, I want to introduce you to somebody. This is Deputy Chief Delaney." Antonio then turned around and looked at him. "AKA The dead man if you die."

Delaney then went to laugh (nervously) because he could tell that Antonio wasn't joking. "Okay Antonio, that's enough...I need him to actually like me so that we can work together." He nodded and agreed before looking at me. "Sweet new digs man." I nodded and agreed. "Here, let me sneak you into the house and you can go see Gabby." Antonio nodded when I said that. "Thanks man." I then looked at Delaney. "I will be right back okay?" He agreed and nodded as I got up before leading Antonio back downstairs so that I could let him into the apartment (there's an entrance both through the firehouse garage and the side door).

Unlocking the door for him, I smiled and went to rub his back. "You can take your mask off now." That's when I saw Louie come downstairs. "Uncle Tonio!" Antonio smiled when he said that and nodded as he went in. "Listen, I am going to keep talking to my Deputy Chief okay?" He agreed and nodded as he walked into the house. Meanwhile, I went to walk back upstairs to my office which overlooked the apparatus floor. "God, I love the CFD Logo on the ground. Gorgeous." Delaney then laughed when I said that. "Definitely is." I nodded and agreed, sitting down.

"Listen, sorry about Antonio. He's harmless...believe me." Delaney laughed when I said that. "You sure about that because he seemed pretty serious." I nodded. "He doesn't have to worry about it because I am not going into the fires anymore. I can't go in because I need to stay out. Also, I want to let you know we plan on living here when the babies are born so...no parties." Delaney nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "Same here, not ready for parties." I nodded and smiled when he said that. "Okay, now back to business. I want to go over staff."

Delaney was shocked when I said that. "Wait a second, are we cutting staff?" I then shook my head. "No but, we are going any dietary restriction. Do you have any allergies? Stuff people can't eat? Are some vegan? That type of stuff." Delaney nodded. "Etherington on my truck is Diabetic. I can take care of that." I nodded and agreed with him. "And Randy McHolland...we call him Mouch just an FYI. He's on a new diet to loose weight I think. Not sure at the moment." He nodded and agreed. "Anybody pregnant, trying to get pregnant?" I then shook my head.

"Oh, I am going to tell you this. I am going to be getting a request for Severide to get time off for a week either this year or next year. He is getting married so...and I need that day off to be his best man. I know, complicated. We are best friends but he also works for me." Delaney nodded when I said that. "Of course. Now are we thinking of closing the house that day or do you want me to take over?" I bit my lip. "I know that most of the people from 1st Shift on Truck 81, Engine 51 and Squad 3 are definitely off that day since we are closest to Severide. I am going to leave it up to him when it comes to you guys...but maybe. If not, I'll switch shifts with 2nd shift."

Delaney nodded and agreed with me. "Just curious, what is COVID protocol at 51...or was?" I then looked at him. "Masks while on property, off when fighting fires. I think it's unreasonable for them to wear them in the truck since they have to go fast. We'll just keep the windows open." Delaney nodded. "And are we going to limit people to their vehicles? Like Ambo crews...are they limited to their ambulances?" I thought about it and sighed. "Honestly, I think Ambos should be just first come first served. There is no time to have to move one out of the way."

He nodded and agreed with me. "Now listen, I have 2 candidates in my ranks. Their names are Gallo and Ritter. Can you please be a bit more mindful when it comes to them? They are still learning and they are already changing houses without requesting it...does that make sense? Like just give them a break for a bit." Delaney agreed when I said that. "Of course, that makes sense. And they are probably grieving too. They are young." I nodded and agreed with him. "Yeah. And just an FYI...my family will come visit. My wife used to work at 51. So, she'll come out every once and a while with a mask on to see our friends if that's okay?"

He agreed with me. "Okay, now for tomorrow. I want to bring everybody in and do a training session. I want to get people working together and for the first few calls...I want to mix and match the trucks that go out to encourage co-operation. So, if Truck 81 goes out...Engine 71 goes out. If Truck 71 goes out...Engine 51 goes out. I get that's going to be a change but.." Delaney nodded when I said that. "You're a bright one Casey. Please relax and let's just work it out. I think that works great and we are going to have fun working together. Now what time tomorrow?" I then bit my lip. "Oh, one last thing. What are we doing for sleeping quarters?"

Delaney then looked at me. "I saw some on each end.  With offices for officers." I nodded when he said that. "I want all the engine leaders in the same area and all the truck leaders in the same area." Delaney nodded and agreed with me. "Okay, you want to go over that and we can mark where we want people? I think you have some cards somewhere we can use to assign the offices." I nodded and agreed with him. "I already told everybody that they have to get their things." Delaney agreed. "Same here. Now, let's get to work so you can be with your family."

I nodded and agreed with him. "Oh and just to let you know, my wife is OFI liaison here at the house. I want you to appoint someone to be the OFI liaison. I want to do preliminary investigations here ahead of time so that they can get full, accurate reports. Also, I expect you to do reports as well to attach to our captains and lieutenants reports. I want to give OFI the best chance to catch stuff if it's arson. I hate having to deal with the same type of fire by the same person twice." Delaney laughed and agreed as we went to tour the firehouse and assign spaces to the new leadership here at the firehouse.