Chapter 379

30 minutes later at Firehouse 71:
Matt's POV:
After making my way back to the firehouse, I sighed as I went to sit in my office where I had to work on the reports. Opening my documents, I went to grab a report to start typing it when I heard someone knock at my door. Looking up, I saw it was Gabby. "Hey, what are you doing down here?" Gabby then looked at me. "Sylvie is upstairs with Louie, you okay?" I sighed when she asked me that before putting my hand out. Walking over to me, Gabby sat down in my lap so that she could give me some comfort. 

Putting my hand on her leg, I looked at her and sighed. "Severide is already back under my skin. He disobeyed another one of my orders. I stripped him of his squad leadership and put Delaney in charge of it. I am going to get him to take the course and become my permanent squad leader. I am tired of having to deal with Severide. Severide just can't listen to my orders. I gave him too much freedom while we were grieving and it's not working." Gabby nodded when I said that. 

"Listen, I am going to talk to Severide." I then looked at her. "Gabby, this is a firehouse matter, not personal. Please do not get involved. You should relax because you are pregnant. Please..." Gabby shook her head when I said that. "Matt, you are my husband and he is my best friend's fiancé. I am not just going to stand down. If he was doing this to me...I would expect you to do the same for me. Now, I need to do the same for you okay? Please don't argue with me."

I sighed and agreed with her when she said that. "Okay, I am going to let you do it. But, you need to wear a mask and be safe. Gabby, I can't loose you to this disease. Heck, you just coming down here is putting you at risk. Promise me that you are going to be safe here." Gabby nodded when I said that before going to kiss me softly. "You going to come upstairs later or are you going to stay down here?" I smiled when she asked me that. "I am going to come upstairs. I need a break."

Gabby then looked at me and went to kiss me softly. "I will be upstairs. I made you some supper okay?" I nodded when she said that. "You don't want to eat down here?" Gabby shook her head when I said that. "No, because you just had problems with Severide. You need to relax and come upstairs for a minute. Plus, I want to see you use that pole for the first time." I laughed when she said that and nodded. "Sounds great." Kissing her softly, I smiled as I held Gabby close to me. "You know that I am so grateful that you are here okay? This was the right move."

Gabby's POV:
When Matt said that this was the right move for us, I could help but agree when he said that because this was perfect. I could be upstairs, safe with Louie while Matt worked down here as Chief of Firehouse 71. Honestly, nothing could be more perfect. "Can you talk to Delaney to see what he thinks of the Paramedic Chief here?" Matt smiled. "Let's just wait until the twins are born okay? And maybe even after we decide whether we are going forward with #4 okay? Just go talk to Severide and then I will come upstairs for supper.

I agreed with him and nodded when he said that before going to grab my mask that I put on his desk. Putting it on, I went to walk out and smiled as I waved to everybody. "Hey Gabby." I smiled when Hermann said that. "Hi Hermann. Severide?" Hermann then pointed to the kitchen where Severide was eating. "Just to let you know, he is not in a good mood." I agreed with him. "Oh, he is not going to yell at me because then, he will possibly put the twins in harm. And that will piss Matt off a lot more than what he did on the call." Hermann agreed with me.

Walking into the break room, I looked at Severide while closing the door. "You seriously can't do my husband a favor and make his life just a little easier?" Severide then turned to look at me. "Of course, he can't even fight a battle himself." I then shook my head when he said that. "He doesn't need to fight a battle with you because you are underneath him." Severide looked at me when I said that. "And you are not an employee here." I nodded when he said that. "Severide, I am his wife and both a best friend to you and Stella. Severide, you're my brother!"

Severide sighed and looked at me. "Yeah." I nodded when he said that. "Severide, Matt is your chief. And by you going against him...it stresses him out because you are his best friend. Severide, just listen to me and hear me out okay?" Severide nodded when I said that and looked at me. "Severide, he is the Chief here and is responsible for all of your lives. He takes that seriously and every single night...I hear him talk in his sleep going over things that he thinks went wrong. He analyzes everything and does everything he can to be better."

Severide nodded and agreed with me. "Severide, his main job here is to make sure that you go home safe after every shift. He feels like he fails you every time you disobey him. You make his job harder. Heck, you have been doing it since he became Chief! Severide, he loves everybody here as family. You really think that he wants to discipline you? You are his best friend and it pains him to have to yell at you. So you need to smarten up and listen to CHIEF CASEY and DEPUTY CHIEF DELANEY. You are a LIEUTENANT!" 

That's when I felt that something was wrong. Moving my hand to my stomach, I just went to sit down and got on the ground. "Severide..." Severide then looked down and got down. "Gabby, you okay?" I then looked up at him and got worried. "Get Matt and Sylvie, something's wrong. I think I might have just gone into labor." Severide then got scared when I said that, running away to get Matt and Sylvie since we were going to meet our twins very early.