Chapter 417

Matt's POV: When I heard that Severide didn't believe in Black Lives Matter, I was appalled. I mean, having a black son made me see the world through a different lens...heck just being married Gabby made me see the world differently. People in the black community are treated differently than people who are white and that is never going to change unless we push the world in a better direction. Heck, whenever I heard about the case...I switch "George Floyd" with "Louie Casey" and it just breaks my heart to think that what happened to him could happen to my son. That was something I was truly scared of and was not ready to have to deal with. Severide should know about this. I mean, doesn't he get treated differently than Stella?

"Matt, the guy was doing his job." I then laughed. "Okay, that is where we have to draw a line. Policemen are not required to put their knees on a man's neck to arrest them!" Severide then sighed. "He wasn't being co-operative." I then just shook my head. "Severide, of course he wasn't being co-operative. He was on the ground and was being hurt. He killed him. Man, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to how the optics are. A white cop arresting a black man in such a violent way!" Severide than laughed. "And you do?"

I then just shook my head. "May I remind you that Louie is my son! I just replace George Floyd with Louie's name. That is a bad dream I have. Think about it...if that can happen in Minneapolis, then what can happen here in Chicago where the police (well, other than Antonio and Jay) are much more violet and have a worse record when it comes to police violence against African Americans. You have to look at it through my eyes as a dad to a black boy." Severide then sighed when I said. "And what if the guy was really guilty?" I then shook my head. "That's court stuff."

Severide knew that he was fighting a loosing battle considering there was no chance of me ever changing my point of view on this. What that cop in Minnesota did was wrong and it should've never happened. Not only was a violation of his right to life as a human being but...it was also a violation of his constitutional rights to not be deemed guilty before his day in court. I am just glad that the officer that killed him has been fired from the Minneapolis Police Department and that he is charged with murder. Him having done that is murder...plain and simple.

Severide just took a breath as he spoke to me. "Listen, can we agree to disagree?" I agreed. "We can agree to disagree...but you are wrong." Severide just laughed. "Whatever. Listen, I have to make supper for me and Stella. When are you coming back to the house?" I sighed when he said that. "I am on paternity leave until the end of the summer. Heck, once Gabby is cleared from bed rest, I am going take our family on a vacation. I still owe Gabby a honeymoon." Severide laughed when I said that. "You guys STILL haven't gone on a honeymoon?"

I shook my head. "Nope, and we have been married for 4 years this December so...a honeymoon is long overdue. However, we might wait until next year to go on a honeymoon since the twins are still too young. And with COVID and all that stuff. However, I am thinking we can do a vow renewal ahead of our 5th anniversary. We want a real wedding." Severide agreed. "We could do a joint-wedding?" I then thought about it and laughed. "You okay inviting 100 of Gabby's relatives? Because that's how big her family is." Severide then laughed. "Okay, scratch that!"

I laughed when he said that when I saw that supper was ready. "Listen man, I have to let you go. Supper is ready." He agreed with me. "Sure thing man. You enjoy this time with your family." I agreed. "I will. Talk later." He agreed and I went to hang up before going to call for Louie. "Louie! Come get supper!" Louie then came running out right when I said that, ready to eat supper. And right after him, Gabby followed him. "We're eating out here. You do the dishes then you are going to change for bed. Louie can stay with us tonight okay?" I nodded and agreed with her.

Going to make us some bowls, I smiled as we prepared to have supper with Louie.

NOTE: I am going to concentrate on Jay & Erin for a while until the Caseys are done supper.