Gabby's Hospital Stay Diary: June 10th-16th

This week was the second week of Hanna Maria and Matthew James, Jr's life. While not much has changed since last week, there were some events that happened that made this stay a bit easier. First of all, the doctors said that the likelihood of them surviving has just gone from 40% to 60%...heck, I would've taken 51% if that meant that the twins were one step closer to going home. Sure, would I like to be home now? Of course I would, but they need me.

Speaking of Homes...me and Matt agreed that the firehouse was no place for the twins to be raised so...he and Antonio have been going out of the hospital every once and a while (allowing Louie and my mom to visit). They have been looking at places near the firehouse for us to live in. I told them that I needed at least 4 bedrooms on 3 floors (maybe a 5th for an office). I also needed a play area of Louie as well as a bunch of space for the twins' stuff.

Speaking of the twins' stuff...it has been coming in. We have a few baby bonnets that our family has knitted (including some from my family in Puerto Rico). As well, the CFD has agreed to cover all medical expenses for the twins' NICU stay. As well, Matt decided to get snipped while we were stuck here since we both talked it over and agreed that we were done having kids. Heck, I was traumatized at the idea of having to go through this again. 

So yes, we are done having kids...but honestly, they are so adorable. They have finally been introduced to all of our families and friends (over video chat of course) and they have already been baptized here at the hospital. We decided to do it so that God could look over them. While not the ideal space to get them baptized...I wouldn't have it any other way because we knew that we needed God on our side for this. I was just glad Louie was able to come.

Also, another thing that was great was that our room was on the ground floor of the hospital so...while not ideal, people were allowed to visit us through the window. Heck, that was just crazy to have to see Louie looking at me through the window. I have been thinking of going home once during the stay but...I decided not too because the twins need me a lot. I have basically been feeding them non stop because of how little they are.

And unfortunately, that also means that I have been required to give up on my idea of solely breastfeeding them. They told me that they need to give the twins more nutrients while they are in the NICU (they have been going there for an hour or two a day so that I could get uninterrupted sleep. However, we got a baby monitor and told them that it doesn't move...we are worried enough as it is with COVID, we need to be able to see them whenever we want.)

And god, the staff here have just been amazing. Natalie Manning (still not back with Will of course) has been put on my service and he has been great. It's especially great when Matt has to work. He has been keeping busy by trying to get the house ready for when we take them home. We are trying for them to be home on independence day...no, that's not irony, we want to be independent of the hospital by then if possible! Now listen, this mamma needs some sleep.