Chapter 444

Meanwhile, with Antonio & Christie:
Antonio's POV: As I sit in the living room with Christie, I smiled as we both laughed over a glass of wine. I was currently in the midst of showing her some pictures from when the kids were younger. Unfortunately this date night was just interrupted because I got a call. "It might be our siblings. You mind if I answer?" Christie then shook her head. "If they are reaching out to us, that's good. Maybe they aren't as mad anymore." That's when I went to check the caller ID and saw it was Jay. "Actually, I need to take this in private." Christie then looked at me.

Showing her the caller ID, I just sighed. "It's work. You know what I told you. My police work is confidential and you can't complain or call them secrets." Christie nodded when I said that. "Go deal with it." Getting up, I nodded while kissing her forehead. Answering the call, I walked away to the den and closed the door before answering the call. "Hey Halsteads, how are you guys?" Jay sighed when I said that. "Listen, I wanted to let you know that you are going to have to take the lead on the investigation with the crew tomorrow." I sighed when he said that. "Erin okay?"

I knew that she was probably still grieving Hank so that's why I asked. However, the reason why he had to stay out was one that I hadn't expected. "No, it's because my brother just tested positive for COVID-19. It's not a good idea for us to work tomorrow because my head isn't going to be in the right place to be productive...and Erin is going to want to comfort me through this. It's a hard blow especially considering it's so soon after Hank died of COVID." I understood when he said that and just sighed. "Well, you can always call me okay? You take what time you need."

Erin then went to make sure I was okay with this. "You sure that you're okay taking the lead for a while Antonio? If you need me to help, I am sure I can multitask." I shook my head. "Erin, you are going to be worried about Jay the entire time that you are working. That isn't productive nor is it healthy for you while you are pregnant. So believe me when I say this Erin...take the time you both need to figure this out and keep me up to date on his status. I owe my sister's life to Will. He was the one who saved her life when she had her miscarriage and when she gave birth recently."

Jay understood. "Of course Antonio. And thanks for understanding." I agreed with him. "You guys would do the same for me. Listen, I am going to tell Matt and Gabby though okay? I am going to make sure that all CPD inquiries go to me instead of you guys." Erin then sighed. "Not yet okay? They just got out of the hospital and we don't want them to have bad thoughts. Can we just keep it between us for a while?" I agreed with her. "Of course. But, I am telling my girlfriend who just so happens to be Matt's sister." Jay then sighed. "Fine, but only if it's out."

I agreed with him when he said that. "You do realize that they are going to figure it out. They have paramedic friends and they are going to notice that he isn't in the ER." Jay then laughed when I said that, agreeing with me. "Very true. Listen, just leave the military stuff to me. We just need a day okay? Talk another time." I agreed and nodded. "You guys stay safe and let's hope for the best." I then went to hang up and just sighed while putting my phone in my pocket. Walking back over to the living room, Christie looked at me. "Everything okay?"

I sighed when she asked me that. "My co-workers doctor brother just tested positive for COVID-19. Going to sit next o her, I went to wrap my arm around her. I already asked and they said I could tell you. However, we can't tell Matt and Gabby unless it gets out and they ask us." Christie sighed when I said that. "That is going to be hard on us. I mean, we don't want to lie on them." I nodded when she said that. "However, I think it might be good for Gabby. We don't need her to worry about it. Their former Battalion Chief...Boden died of COVID-19 apparently."

That's when I remembered something. "Shit, I need to ask them if they are going to tell Benson. Another detective on the case." Christie then looked at me and stopped me. "Antonio, sit down and take a breather. You have barely sat down since Hank died. And I have been meaning to ask you this....how are you anyways? I mean, you were close to him no?" I sighed when she asked me that and nodded. "Yeah, I was so...it's hard knowing that he isn't my boss anymore. However, I am just glad he is leaving Matt alone. You hear what he did to his ex Hallie?"

Christie laughed when I asked her that. "May I remind you that Matt is my brother. Of course I know what he did to her. We were a lot closer back then and he told me what Hank did to her. You have nothing to worry about when it comes to that because I know what he did." That's when Christie saw Eva and Violet at the patio door. "However what you do have to worry about is those two daughters/new best friends of ours who just earned themselves a week of grounding!" Eva and Violet then both turned to look at her, nervous.

I stared at Eva and just shook my head. "Get upstairs and go do your homework. Oh and give me your iPad. You can have your laptop for just school work. And your phone will be for emergencies online." Eva sighed when I said that. "Dad!" I just looked at her. "Fine, you are just grounded. No Disney+ or Netflix, Spotify is okay. No FaceTime...you can call. Texting but not during the hours of 9 to 3." Eva then sighed and agreed, knowing she was in shit. Walking upstairs with Eva, Violet thought she escaped punishment but that wasn't the case.

"Same rules go for you Violet!" Violet then groaned. "If I go to dad's?" Christie then looked at her. "Same rules will apply. You know what a stay-at-home order means and you know about Matt and Gabby's twins. You need to stay healthy so that we can see them. Understood!" Both of the girls agreed when Christie said that before just going to walk away. Meanwhile, I looked at her. "We are a good team." Christie laughed when I said that, agreeing with me. "Yes we are." Sharing a quick kiss, we both smiled as we continued to drink our wines that night.