Chapter 375

Back at Firehouse 71 - Chief Casey's Apartment
Matt's POV: As I lay down in bed with Gabby and Louie, I smile as we read to him just so that we can have a bit of quality time before shift tomorrow...well, fire shift. Currently, the ambulances were still active because they needed them just in case they had COVID cases in the area. I was not going to shut them down due to the pandemic because that would not be the right thing to do. That's when I started to hear my phone ring. Checking the caller ID, I smiled when I saw it was Jay and Erin. "Well, if it isn't our co-Liaisons to the Chicago Police Department."

Jay laughed when I said that because it was true. "Well, if that isn't true. How was the opening and training session?" I smiled when he asked me that. "Honestly, I think it was good. I am getting along with my Deputy Chief and honestly...it worked out great." Jay was confused when I said Deputy Chief though. "What are you talking about Deputy Chief?" I sighed when he said that. "Firehouse 20 and Firehouse 51 merged to create Firehouse 71. Since Firehouse 51 provided a majority of the equipment and staff, I became Chief. 20's chief became deputy."

Jay understood what. "Well, that makes sense. But how did it go?" I laughed. "Honestly, we just did training. Right now, I thought it was okay but...we'll see tomorrow when our first official fire shift begins." Jay agreed when I said that. "Okay, so that means you work 8-to-8 starting tomorrow morning?" I agreed with him. "Well, 8 am to 8 pm full-time and 8 pm to 8 am on call. However, I think I am just going to end up working during the day every day since I live here. If they need extra manpower, I am not going to say no to helping out." Gabby then looked at me.

"Oh c'mon, you know our family will always put the public first. Our family will always put public service first. You are really doing to tell me that you are going to stop me from going to help when we are right upstairs from the trucks?" Gabby then thought about it and nodded. "You're right. I would want you to go...only if it's not during the first 2 months of the twin's life. Sorry but that's the only exception I have to make and put my foot down on. Either you have to stay or my mom has to come here and help out. Then, you can go out and help with the firehouse stuff!"

I nodded and agreed with her when she said that before going to lean down and kiss Gabby softly. "I love you, you know that right?" Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that. "So, what is it going to be like when you are on shift with regards to the family stuff?" I then sighed and decided to put the phone on speaker. "Hey, you are on speaker with Gabby. But when it comes to that question...I am going to try and come up and down as much as I can but...that's all I can promise. The only thing I am worried about is missing our kids' milestones." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that while grabbing my hand. "That a big worry for you?"

I looked at her and nodded. "I do not want to miss any of their milestones. That's the entire point of us being here. Promise me that you will call me right away if they talk for the first time or walk for the first time?" Gabby nodded when I said that. "Of course Matt, I promise that I will." I smiled when she said that before going to lean down, kissing her slowly. "Sorry if I am kissing you so much...I am just really happy right now." Gabby nodded when I said that and smiled at me. "Go back to talking to Jay and calm down okay Matt?" I nodded and agreed with her.

Jay then laughed. "Believe me man, I get what you are going through...remember that Erin is pregnant with twins too! She is pretty much just as hormonal as Gabby. Probably doesn't help that I am just wearing my boxers right now." I laughed when he said that. "Oh yeah, that probably doesn't help." That's when Erin spoke up. "Can you please not talk to that with Matt Jay? I mean, talk about awkward...you really think that he needs to know you are in your boxers?" Jay agreed with her when she said that. "Want to join the conversation?"

I then told him to put her on. "By command of Battalion Chief of Firehouse 71...I demand that you put Erin Halstead onto the call with us so that we can talk to our other friend." Jay laughed when I said that and agreed with me. Putting the call on speaker, he laughed more. "You are really going to enjoy being Chief aren't you Matt?" I smiled when he said that. "Honestly, I like it. It's cool and I am going to enjoy having other men. I can't wait to figure out how people are going to work together." Jay agreed with me when I said that. "Don't forget to introduce me to the other members of your team okay? We are your liaison and we need to know them too."

I agreed with him when he said that. "Whenever you are here at the CPD outpost...we can introduce you to people from each shift. I promise you that." Jay agreed with me when I said that. "That sounds great. Maybe I can convince Hank to let us work from there instead of having to go to the CPD headquarters." However, Erin vetoed that right away. "Not happening Jay! If I can work from home in our PJs, then we are going to do just that!" Jay agreed with her. "Of course babe, sorry I didn't think about that." Erin then laughed and agreed with him.

"Jay, word of advice from a dad who is further along in the pregnancy...just make sure you always clear stuff with your wife first. They are really in charge." Jay agreed with me when I said that. "Oh and don't forget that she has my father-in-law wrapped around her finger and she can get him to punish me at work if I piss her off." I then agreed with him. "I would complain to HR if that ever happened man, I am sorry but that's wrong...just don't tell Erin I said that because I do not need to have a bad relationship with my equivalent at CPD intelligence."

Jay understood what I mean when I said that. "I understood man. Now listen, you probably need to make some supper for your family." I then thought about it and turned to look at Gabby. "I think we might order in for supper actually. I would rather not have to make supper if I am tired. I need to rest before a long first day tomorrow." Gabby looked at me when I said that and agreed with me. "Think we can go to Molly's and go to the pre-opening party? I know I'm pregnant but.." I nodded and smiled. "I am sure that we can be safe. That sounds great. Plus, they have a patio."

Gabby thought about it and nodded. "That sounds like fun. Call Hermann to check if that's still happening. I haven't been there in person since I came back from Puerto Rico." I was shocked when she said that. "No, it hasn't been that long." Gabby nodded and smiled at me before going to get up. "I am going to get dressed. Call Hermann and check if we are able to get in with our firehouse friends." I nodded and agreed with her before watching her walk away to go take a shower. Meanwhile, I went back to my conversation with Jay. "Turns out we're going out."

Jay was confused when I said that. "Where are you guys going?" I then smiled. "They are having a Firehouse 71 opening party at Molly's. We are going to go there since it's the house." Jay agreed with I said that. "Just be safe okay? Don't need you getting another COVID scare right before you open."  I agreed with him and smiled. "Thanks man, sounds good and talk later if you join us. Bye Jay." I then went to hang up and smiled at Louie. "What do you say we go to see some of mommy's and daddy's friends for supper?" Louie nodded and smiled.

Getting up, I went to kiss his forehead and smiled. "Listen, just stay here okay buddy? I am going to get dressed." Louie nodded and agreed with me as he stayed on the bed while I Walked away to my closet so that I could get dressed to go out with the family and meet up with our friends at Molly's to celebrate the opening of Firehouse 71 before our first shift tomorrow. However, before I could do that...I got a call from Commissionner Grissom. "Grissom, what can I do for you?" Grissom then sighed. "Casey, I hate to do this to you but...we need you to active today and work 36 hours instead of 24 hours today because we have a massive fire in the Commercial District." I agreed with him. "Of course Commissioner. I will call Delaney and tell him. Can you call Severide and tell him to call his Squad and tell them to come in ASAP?" 

Grissom agreed with me when I said that. "Of course, you got everybody else?" I agreed and nodded before hanging up. "GABBY!" Gabby then came out of the washroom and looked at me. "What's up?" I then sighed. "Rain check! I have to work an emergency fire. Huge fire in the commercial district. They are activating Firehouse 71 ahead of time so we can held since we are the biggest." Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "Of course, go ahead. Call Delaney and get dressed." I agreed with him before going to call Delaney so that we could start work now.