Chapter 452

Matt's POV:
Once I finished setting up my office and giving my briefing, I smiled when I came out to the apparatus floor to see that Gabby was there already helping on the floor. "You didn't come in to say hi?" Gabby then turned to look at me and smiled. "Jay and Erin are already upstairs with the kids working." I agreed with her and nodded as I went to wrap my arms around her. "Promise me that you will take breaks and won't overdo it okay? I am going to worry about you." Gabby sighed when I said that when I heard Maggie walk over. "I promise, I'll make her Matt."

I smiled when she said that before going to wrap my arms around Gabby. "Hey, look at me. I am doing this for you benefit okay? Gabby, remember that you had a traumatic birth. By the way, how are you...this is the first time you are here since that happened." Gabby then went to grab my hands and I sighed. "Here, come with me." She nodded and agreed with me as I went to lead her to the side so that we could talk. Leaning against the wall, I put my hand out and looked at her. "Talk to me. You know that I am here for you Gabby. How are you feeling right now?"

Gabby sighed as she looked at me. "It's just a little scary to be here." Gabby then turned to look at the spot where she went into labor. "That was the exact spot where I went into labor." I nodded when she said that before going to wrap my arms around her. Kissing her forehead, I just held her close before pushing her head up. "Listen, you are safe, the kids are safe and you are okay. I promise that nothing is going to happen to you this shift." That's when I heard Delaney walk up to us with his bag. "And neither will I. We can rotate going out if you want Matt."

I thought about it and bit my lip. "Maybe. We'll see how bad it gets. If I can, I would like to be there so that you aren't outranked by another Chief." Delaney nodded when I said that and agreed with me. "That makes sense. Now, have you already done the briefing?" I shook my head when he asked me that. "Gabby, I am going to get the briefing ready. How about you get in some scrubs and you can help Maggie?" Gabby smiled when I said that and agreed with me. 

Gabby's POV:
As Matt left to go do the firehouse briefing, I walked over to Maggie to get my scrubs. "Let me guess, he asked you to bring me some extra scrubs so that I can help with the patients?" Maggie smiled and nodded before going to give me my scrubs and mask. "Yes, now are you okay doing COVID much or would you rather stay to the scrapes and bruises?" I laughed and looked at her. "Maggie, all cases are going to be COVID. However, I am in charge of Ambulances today."

That's when I heard Sylvie come in. "You are?" Turning to look at her, I nodded and smiled. "Well, just for the storm. By the way, I can't wait to be back on Ambo with you in September!" Maggie then looked at me. "Wait, you are going back to being a paramedic only 3 months after giving birth?" I nodded and smiled at her. "Yeah, I want to help the community as much as possible. However, the kids are going to be here with us so it's not going to be that bad."

Maggie nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "I guess that will make it easier on you guys. But is that going to be safe?" I nodded and smiled. "Oh, not on the floor. Upstairs in our apartment. Cindy Hermann is going to be coming in to help us take care of them." That's when I heard Cindy walk up to me. "Think maybe we can do a practice run today?" I thought about it and laughed. "Have a good shift Hermann, you're late. Briefing now!" He agreed and then went to run away. "Uhm, I already have Jay and Erin Halstead watching them since CPD is here."

That's when I heard Matt come out. "I just saw Hermann come out so I guess that Cindy was here?" Turning to look at Matt, I smiled at him. "Yeah, what are we going to do? Is Cindy going to watch them?" Matt then smiled. "I think it would be great to do a dry-run. Jay and Erin are upstairs with the kids though..." I then thought about it. "If they want to just concentrate on the case, Cindy can concentrate on the kids while I work here in the field hospital. Does that work?" Matt nodded and smiled when I said that before walking over to me, kissing me quickly.

"That sounds perfect." Unfortunately, right when he said that...the bells went off."

"Squad 3, Truck 81, Engine 51, Ambo 61...interstate pileup and car accident at Halsted & Canalport, I-90 Northbound backing up."

Giving him a quick kiss, I smiled. "Be safe!" He agreed with me and nodded as he went to grab his jacket and then left in the Jeep. Turning to look at Cindy, I smiled at her. "Let's go upstairs and you can meet the twins." Cindy nodded and smiled when I said that, ready to meet our twins for the first time. Oh and I also have to tell Jay and Erin that she is going to take care of them instead of them. I mean, I hope they would be ok... That's when I realized something. "Actually Cindy, Erin and Jay have to work and they are using our apartment to stay safe since she' pregnant."

Cindy then turned to look at me. "So you are going to let them watch the kids?" I laughed and agreed. "If they are up there." Cindy nodded and smiled. "I will be in Christopher's apartment in case you need me okay?" I nodded and smiled when she said that. Meanwhile, I went to walk away to me and Matt's apartment to see Jay and Erin.