Chapter 414

Matt's POV: After making my way to my office (again), I went to grab my phone so that I could call Delaney and tell him that Jake was going to be out from July 15th to August 31st. Finding the direct number to his office at the firehouse, I went to call him. "Ah, Chief Casey...calling to check if your guys are all okay?" I then sighed and went to talk to him. "No, I am calling to tell you that I expect you to take care of all of my men while you are there as the sole Battalion Chief on Duty!"

Delaney was confused when I said that. "Okay, who complained?" I sighed as I sat in my chair. "I just got a call from Jake Cordova. He put his request in for paternity leave for a while and you really dropped the ball. You left it to the last minute. He was going to put in for furlough had I not acted. His wife is pregnant and he was going to have to take furlough starting July 15th until August 31st. By the way, that is when he is out for his paternity leave just an advance notice."

Delaney got nervous when I said that. "God, I am so sorry Casey. I thought I was doing those." I sighed when he said that. "Just be glad that he didn't go to his union rep. That could've been a headache for the both of us and I hope you realize that I do not need another headache right now considering what I have been through over the past 2 months." Delaney agreed with me when I said that. "Of course Matt. I promise that it won't happen again." I sighed, nodding.

"I am already doing it so, I am going to approve it. Stay on and we can go through them together. You in your office right now?" Delaney agreed with me when I asked him that "Yeah, let me just open up the staff management software and we can go through it together." I agreed with him when he said that. "By the way, you are doing the July 4th BBQ at the house right?" Delaney got nervous when I asked him that question too. "I am not sure yet, depends on COVID status."

I agreed with him. "Oh, just to let you know...even thought I moved out of the firehouse, that doesn't mean we are going to be offering it up to anybody. I am still going to use it when I am working. Gabby and the kids are going to stay there with me overnight. Instead of sleeping in the bunk room, I am going to sleep there. Can you make sure that nobody goes in there?" Delaney agreed and understood. "Of course and I understand that you want your family here at work."

I sighed when he said that. "We have twins and a toddler, I am going to want to be a dad who is always available to my kids. If that means that they have to live in a firehouse apartment...then yes, I am going to live there with them. I do not plan on having to travel back and forth overnight. God, that is going to be hard on Gabby. Remember, we have twins so the feedings are going to be hard on her." Delaney agreed with me when I said that. "Add in a toddler."

I laughed when he said that. "Oh and a quick heads up. I already approved Kelly Severide and Stella Kidd's furlough request from July 28th-August 14th, 2021. They are getting married on July 31st, 2021 and they requested that time off for final wedding prep and their honeymoon. I know that's a long time but..." Delaney understood. "Matt, relax. You have the final discretion. However, I hope you know that I heard about your plans to make Severide a captain."

I sighed when he said that. "Listen, if he becomes a captain...I want him to be in charge of the Squad. He has been there so long and you inherited it. Technically...even though you have been a Captain longer than him, I would have to put him in as Squad Captain due to his years of experience. Your years of captaincy are not equal to years as a squad lieutenant because of their special role at the CFD. Be glad that we have a squad, there are only 10 in the City."

Delaney agreed with me. "I understand Matt. Now listen, I promise that I am going to step up. It's just...I guess I am putting my guys first." I agreed with him. "And I am trying not to do that. But...I am doing it by seniority. Please at least tell me that you looked at Severide's request before any of your non-Lieutenants." Delaney then sighed when I said that. "Delaney, please...can you not let me down. Remember that this is an honorific position and is not permanent."

Delaney once again agreed with me and understood. "Of course Matt. Now listen, how about we get through these furlough requests together or do you want to do them?" I then sighed. "You are going to need to help because I am still trying to remember the hierarchy from your house. I am trying to remember the Lieutenants' names from Firehouse 20 but...I am struggling. Heck, I should get a full roster out and have it with me at all times." He agreed with me.

"Here, I just sent you a complete roster of the house with the titles and ranks that each other them have." I agreed when he said that and saw the e-mail. Opening it, I went to save the document. "Thanks Delaney, this will help me." That's when I got a call from Chief Patterson. "Hey Delaney, I am going to have to put you on hold for a minute. I am getting a call from Chief Patterson from House 90." Delaney agreed with me. "Add him on, we're all Chiefs." I agreed.

"Hey Chief Patterson, how are you? You are on with  me and Deputy Chief Delaney." I then went to merge the calls. Patterson then laughed. "I was just calling because I heard from Severide that you got home with your twins. I forgot to check up on you since I saw you at the hospital. You get my gift basket that me and Paula sent to you at the hospital." I laughed and agreed. "Let's just say that those chocolates were very delicious." He laughed and agreed.

Chief Patterson then went to drop a bomb on us. "So listen, I know that this is going to sound like a surprise but...Severide has been reaching out to me to see if there was a spot on Squad here."