Chapter 26

Ayumi's P. O. V:

When we reach the huge temple, we're met with countless steps leading up to it, but I walk next to Saya as we walk up them, Naruto beside me. He glares at Sora's back.

Naruto pushes on ahead of me to meet Sora's stride. He asks, "Hey, tell me, something. Was that a wind nature chakra back there?" Sora doesn't respond. Naruto squints his eyes closed in a glare before rushing to stand in front of him, causing Sora to pause. "Listen. Don't ignore someone when they're talking to ya. I'm asking about that Jutsu of yours." Saya pauses just behind them as Naruto reaches out and grabs Sora's right wrist, holding it up. "It came from this hand, didn't it?"

"Don't touch me!" Sora snaps, yanking his arm back as the blonde scowls. Sora closes his eyes as he huffs indignantly before he resumes stalking past Naruto. Naruto glares after him.

"What a jerk."

Saya and I step up beside Sakura who'd paused beside Sai, and she and I let out exasperated sighs. As the four of us catch up to Naruto, he groans, "Aaagghh, are we almost there, yet?!" When we pause at the top of the stairs, Yamato, Chiriku and Sora already there, Naruto gasps, his eyes wide. "I've seen this place before! In a dream." The Fire Temple has intricate yellow carvings on the doors with statues of winged creatures doing battle on either side.

Standing before the massive doors, Chiriku says to us, holding out a hand invitingly, "Right this way."

Yamato follows him forward but I catch Sora sticking his foot out and causing Naruto to trip forwards. Naruto cries out as Sora throws out an arm to halt his fall, asking, "Careful. You ok?"

Naruto gives him a grateful smile as he says, "Yeah. Thanks, buddy..." He trails off once Naruto realises the drop back down the hundred steps. He fails to catch himself before he descends the stairs.

My eyes widening in concern, I vanish from beside my tiger, shocking Sora and Chiriku with my real speed as I seemingly disappear from existence, my movements creating a breeze that ruffles everyone's hair and clothes, before I reappear right behind Naruto, a hand on his back to prevent him from falling any further.

"Divine retribution!" Sora was laughing. "She's so fast..." I hear Sora breathe in awe. "She wasn't this fast during our fight."

I help Naruto to stand as I ask, "Are you okay, Naruto-kun?"

He gives me a grateful look as he breathes, "Yeah. Thanks a bunch, Ayu-chan!" Naruto then wrenches a death glare to Sora and charges right back up the steps at lightning speed, growling, "Why you....!!" In a heartbeat, Naruto has reached Sora but the young monk was already backing away, still laughing. "You're dead, pal!!"

As I head back to the top, Yamato catches Naruto's jacket collar, halting him short as he says, "Alright. That's enough."

Naruto is struggling to get at Sora as he grits through his teeth, "You lousy, rotten...! No good...! Come here, I'm not fini...!" Sora laughs gleefully.

"That's enough, Naruto," I say sternly, giving him a look that instantly causes him to freeze, even while he was being choked in Yamato's grip, though his stare was glued to Sora. A bead of sweat rolls down the side of Naruto's face. "You don't need to trouble yourself with this one." Yamato mouths "Thank you" to me. I turn my head to meet Sora's hard gaze as I cross my arms. "As for you, Sora, I'd very much appreciate it if you didn't try to kill my teammate."

Sora lets out a, "Tch!" He glares at me. "Bitch!"

Saya immediately wrenches her head around in a death glare as she bares her fangs and growls at the gray haired boy, causing him to gasp in fear.