Chapter 28

Ayumi's P. O. V:

The two groups dash through the trees in the direction opposite the hidden tombs.

Yamato asks Chiriku, "Chiriku, why are we going in this direction? It's not where the hidden tombs are."

The monk answers, "Those coffins the thieves are carrying aren't empty. They'll be heavy. The Fire Temple is surrounded on three sides by cliffs, The Blue Dragon, White Tiger, and Black Turtle Snake. Their only possible way out is toward the Red Phoenix—what you would call the south."

Yamato looks ahead again as he utters, "Yes. I see."

I leap before Sakura as Sora appears in front of us before he launches himself forward. He feels Naruto gazing at him and turns his head to see his saddened expression.

"Huh? What is it? Why are you staring at me like that?"

Naruto gasps as he averts his eyes. Naruto looks back at Sora as he murmurs, "You mentioned... revenge, right?" Sora just scoffs before bursting ahead of us. Naruto casts his gaze down sadly. Soon we burst out of the trees and land on the ground. Before us is a wide spread of bare grass, no tree in sight beyond the cliffs, and beyond the field, mountains. We gaze at everything in awe. "Whoa! This spot has a great view of everything!"

"Yeah, but don't expect the enemy to show up," I state with a hand on my hip.

Naruto gazes around with a hand to his forehead like a visor as he agrees, "You're right! They'd be crazy to. There's no place for them to hide."

Just then, four coffins burst out of the earth in the wide valley below us.

"Naruto, Ayumi," Sai addresses us.

"Yeah? What is it?" The blonde asks.

"Down there," Sai says as he points to the four fleeing coffins.

"Don't worry, I see them," I say, gaze glued to the four coffins.

Naruto cries out, slapping Sora's shoulder and startling him, "AAAHHH!! Sora, down there! Look, look!!"

Sora whirls on the Uzumaki in agitation as he snaps, "Will you shut up, you idiot!!" Naruto jerks back out of surprise. "I see it!!"

Chiriku muses, "No doubt about it. That's them."

Yamato inputs, "Yes. The coffins, and presumably the thieves with them."

"It's strange. Why are they transporting them in the open?" Chiriku wonders aloud. "It's as if they want us to see them."

Naruto demands, "Come on, what are we waiting for?! They're getting away!"

I question, "What should we do, Captain?"

He addresses the elder monk, "Remain here, Chiriku. If anything should happen, I want you to please report back to the Fire Temple."