Chapter 37

Ayumi's P. O. V:

The following day, in my casual blue kimono, I was visiting Naruto and Sai in the hospital when Kakashi shows up.

"Oh, ho! So you made a great show while I was gone, huh?" The silver haired Jounin asks as he lingers in the doorway to the boy's room, Sakura and I sitting on stools next to Sai's and Naruto's beds

"Where the heck were you, Kakashi Sensei?" Naruto demands to know. Between getting back from his mission and spending time with his wife before she went back to the Land of Diamonds, Kakashi hasn't been able to tell us anything.

Kakashi glances to Naruto as he responds flippantly, "Oh, nowhere special."

Just then, the door slides open and Asuma walks in. I greet in surprise, gaining everyone's attention, "Asuma Sensei!"

He says to the Hatake, "I knew you'd be here. Kakashi, you got a minute?"

"Huh?"

Asuma says as he rubs the back of his head, "I want to talk to you." He drops his hand. "Naruto, Sai... here, a get well gift!"

Asuma holds up a basket of red and green apples, causing Naruto to spazz out as he flails his hands. "Yikes! I've had enough apples..." Naruto hangs his head sadly.

Kakashi then leaves with Asuma, leaving me and Sakura alone with the boys.

Naruto takes off his blankets and we look as he starts unwrapping the bandages around his legs. I ask, "What are you doing, Naruto?"

He says, "I don't have time to be lying around here. I need to get back to my training..."

Sakura stammers, "That being said, you're still..."

Naruto removes the last of the bandages from his right leg as he murmurs, gazing at the bruises, "I'm still too weak. That's why... That's exactly why... I have to get stronger to get a power that won't hurt everyone... power that will protect everyone. That's why I have to get stronger."

I murmur as I gaze at him with softened eyes, "Naruto-kun..."

"Well, good your horses..." We turn our heads to see my Guardian leaning against the closed door with his arms crossed. "Right now, your training is to heal those wounds."

"Kakashi Sensei!" Naruto gasps.

"And let me make this clear to you in particular, Naruto..." Kakashi continues sternly.

"Huh?"

"If you leave the hospital, what awaits us training so severe you'll wish you'd stayed in the hospital longer. So be prepared for that!"

Naruto blanches at the thought before he stutters, "R-Right...! I-I understand..."

"Sakura," Kakashi addresses.