Magic School (2)

"It's an invitation to...WHAT?" Kokichi asked, wanting to make sure he heard Himiko correctly. Himiko jumped up and down, squealing.

     "Miss Pokie's Magic Academy for Gifted Girls!" Himiko repeated. Kokichi looked at her with bewilderment written all over his face.

   "What the...who the...who in the obtuse-rubber-goose-green-moose-guava-juice-giant-snake-birthday-cake-large-fries-chocolate-shake world is Miss...POKIE?!?!" Kokichi asked, throwing his arms into the air.

   "Pokie Hocus is an amazing magician who takes magic tricks to a whole different level," Himiko explained. "I've heard she can make mountains disappear! She can turn oceans into soda! She can make buildings-"

   "And her name is...P-Pokie Hocus?" Kokichi snorted, trying to hold in his laughter. Suddenly, he burst into laughter, falling to the floor and clutching his stomach. "Hahahahahahahaha!!! Pokie Hocus! What kinda ridiculous name is that?! Omigod, her parents must have hated her to give her that name! Hahahaha, oh no! My stomach hurts! I can't stop laughing!!"

   "Her name is not funny," Himiko frowned at him. "Besides, she's a very well-known and well-respected member of the magic community! Her name is not something to poke fun at!" 

   "You mean her name is not something to 'POKIE' fun at!" Kokichi joked, laughing harder. 

   "Nyeh...stop making a mockery out of her name!" Himiko chided. 

   "Hahaha...okay...okay, I'm done," Kokichi gasped from laughing too hard. "No more! I promise, hee-hee-hee. Whoo...I'm done, seriously." He took a few deep breaths and steadied himself, showing Himiko that he was serious. "Proceed," he said, clearing his throat. 

   "Okay, so, anyways..." Himiko began. Suddenly, Kokichi burst into laughter again, interrupting her. "Kokichiiiii!!!" Himiko whined, stomping her foot in frustration. 

   "Sorry, sorry! I had to get that last one outta my system," he replied. "Okay, nooowww, I'm done. Seriously. I'm done." Himiko studied him closely, trying to see if he was lying or not. "I mean it. For realsies, I'm done," he said, smiling.

   "Stop smiling!" Himiko commanded in a pouty voice. Kokichi covered his mouth with his hand and squeezed his mouth to cover his smile. "That's cheating. You can't do that." Himiko said, pointing a scolding finger at him. Kokichi lowered his hand and sucked his cheeks in to look like a fish. 

    "You can't do that, either!" Himiko scolded. Kokichi stopped doing the fish face and smiled even bigger. 

   "Nee-heehee...the more you try to get me NOT to smile, it'll only make me smile more," Kokichi replied. Himiko rolled her eyes in annoyance at him. "Just continue on with Miss Pok-I mean...with what you were talking about before. Like, what's this magic academy thingy all about?"

   "Okay..." Himiko said. "Well, she runs a school for girls who aspire to be magicians, and she apparently teaches them how to do all sorts of cool magic tricks."

   "Magic tricks, or...actual magic, like what you have?" Kokichi asked. "I mean, if this lady can actually do what you say she can do, isn't that real magic?"

   "No," Himiko replied with uncertainty. "Maybe? I dunno...I actually never thought about that. But I think that's what makes her an incomparable magician. She specializes in magic TRICKS, not REAL magic."

   "Hmm...I suppose so," Kokichi said with a hint of skepticism. "And why is her academy only for girls? Not that that's a bad thing, I just wanna know."

   "Nyeh...most of the famous magicians in the world are men," Himiko explained. "Miss Pokie wanted to give girls a chance to gain more recognition in the world of prestidigitation."

   "Oh..." Kokichi replied, struggling to keep a straight face. "I see." The smile he was trying to hide got bigger. Himiko shook her head and smiled.

   "Yeah, yeah, just laugh and get it out, already," she said. Kokichi burst into laughter, yet again, rolling on the floor and clutching his sides. While he was busy laughing, Himiko looked at the invitation card again with curiosity. 

   "I wonder if I should go," she said out loud to herself. Upon hearing this, Kokichi abruptly stopped laughing. He stood up, eyeing Himiko with uncharacteristic concern.

   "So...um, this invitation? Is it to see a magic show, or what?" he asked cautiously. He already knew the answer, but he didn't want to hear it. 

  "Well...no, Miss Pokie wants to know if I want to attend her academy," Himiko replied in a quiet voice. This time, Kokichi didn't burst into laughter. He just stood there, staring at Himiko. 

   "But, does she know you're already going to school here at Hope's Peak?" he asked her. Himiko shrugged. 

   "I'm not sure," she admitted. "But that is a good point. I can't go to the Magic Academy if I'm already going to school at Hope's Peak." She spoke with a slight hint of disappointment. Kokichi rubbed his arm in awkward silence.

   "Well...you don't need to go to that school, anyways," he said. "You're the Ultimate Mage, after all. By you being a mage, you've already outdone everyone there, y'know?"

   "Yeah, you're right," Himiko replied, smiling at him. Though she had a smile on her face, Kokichi could see her wistful eyes, as if she were longing to be with people who shared her interests. 

  "So, you'll stay here, then?" Kokichi asked, trying not to sound too hopeful. 

  "Yup," Himiko replied. She sounded a lot less enthusiastic than she had intended. "Well, I'm gonna go throw this away," she said, putting the card back into the red envelope. With one last smile at Kokichi, she headed up to her room. 

   "That's a lie," Kokichi whispered to himself as he watched her walk away.