The Not-Your-Talent Show! (4)

"WHAT?!?!" the other girls screamed in unison. Their mouths hung agape as they stared at Ibuki who flashed them a sheepish smile.

   "Um...yeeaahhh, haha. I want you guys to join my band," Ibuki replied, rubbing the back of her neck. 

  "You don't have a band, Ibuki," Maki replied. 

  "Well...okay, what I mean is, I want to FORM a band with you guys," Ibuki admitted. The other girls exchanged concerned glances. 

  "Ibuki...we do not know how to play any instruments...aside from you and Kaede, anyways," Sonia said. 

   "And why do you want us in your band?" Kaede asked. "What does this have to do with our bet with Junko?"

   "D'oohhh! Okaaayy, it's like this," Ibuki sighed, pacing back and forth. "I wanna form a band for the Not-Your-Talent Show because...because...ughh, the moment I heard about it, I invited my parents, okay?!"

   "Your parents?" Sayaka asked curiously. "What do they have to do with this?"

   "My parents are the proper, stuffy kind. They think the music I listen to is turning me into some kind of rebellious deviant," Ibuki explained. "But I want to show them that music is awesome, and inspiring, and...and that it's empowering, ya know?"

  "Well, we understand that, Ibuki, but why US?' Kaede asked again. "Like Sonia said, you and I are the only ones who can play a musical instrument."

   "And since you're the Ultimate Musician, won't we be automatically disqualified if you're in the band?" Maki asked. Before Ibuki could answer, a teacher interrupted them.

  "Um, ladies, you should be going to class," she advised, then briskly walked away. 

  "I've thought about that, too," Ibuki admitted to Maki. "I'll be singing instead of playing any instruments!"

   "That still counts as you being a musician," Maki said with her arms crossed. 

   "Ergh...well, okay, then, let's meet up after school in Headmaster Kirigiri's office," Ibuki suggested. "We can ask him if it's okay." The others sighed, but reluctantly agreed.

   ***

  Later after school, all eight of the girls headed to Headmaster Kirigiri's office. They could hear him singing from behind the door. "Nobooody knows...*hiccup*...how dry I aaaam...*hiccup!*" Ibuki knocked on the door. "Whaaaaaat?" his voice whined from inside. 

  "Um, Mister Kirigiri? Can we come inside?" Ibuki called from outside. "We have something to talk to you about the Not-Your-Talent Show."

   "Whateeeveeeerrrr..." the headmaster whined. "Come in, if it floats your fffffreakin' boat." Ibuki and the others stepped inside to find Kirigiri hunched in his seat looking tired, drunk, and grouchy as he glared at them with his beady eyes. "Whaddya waaant?"