Magic School (3)

A few days had passed and Kokichi noticed that Himiko was just as quiet as ever. She hardly talked to him or anyone else, she wasn't as enthusiastic when pulling pranks with him, she hardly touched her meals, and it seemed like she spent the past few days just daydreaming. Every time Kokichi would ask her what was wrong, she'd respond with saying that nothing was bothering her, and that was it. Kokichi knew what the matter was, and a conflict began growing inside of him. Late one night, he sat on his bed, pondering deeply about a decision that he had been mulling over. He finally took out his phone to message Himiko.

    KOKICHI: Hey, Stinky Butt. You still awake?

    HIMIKO: Yup

    Her reply had been dry and curt just like her vocal responses in the past few days.

    KOKICHI: I wanna talk to you about something important. Meet me out in the back under the gazebo, 'kay?

   HIMIKO: Okay. I'll be down in a few minutes

   Kokichi stood up from his bed and tiptoed quietly out the door, so as not to wake Gonta. He crept out the back door and headed towards the gazebo, sitting down on one of the benches to wait for Himiko. As she promised, Himiko arrived a few minutes later, still in her pajamas, and sat next to Kokichi. 

   "Nyeh...what did you want to talk about?" she asked. Kokichi took a deep breath and hesitated before speaking.

   "Um...so...I've been wondering...about that magic school that you wanted to go to," he began, fidgeting uncomfortably. 

   "What...about it?" Himiko asked haltingly.

   "I...uh...well, um, I..." Kokichi mumbled, rubbing his neck. "I...I think you should go." Himiko stared at him, as if she didn't hear him. 

   "Wh-What did you say?" she asked quietly.

   "I said I think you should go," Kokichi repeated a little more clearly. Himiko's eyes lit up, much to Kokichi's disappointment, but he did his best not to let it show. Suddenly, the spark left her eyes and she slightly hung her head.

    "Well, um...it's not such a big deal," she shrugged. "Like I said, I already go to school at Hope's Peak, so there's no point in leaving. Besides, I'll get over it." Kokichi studied her, knowing that she didn't mean a word that she was saying.

   "Himiko...remember what I told you about lying to yourself?" he asked her quietly. Himiko looked up at him and nodded. "Be honest with yourself, and tell me how you really feel..." he said. "...even if it's uncomfortable." Himiko hesitated and sighed.

   "I..." she began. She shut her eyes and blurted the words that stung Kokichi's heart. "I DO wanna go!"

    "Then you should go," he said quietly.