CHAPTER 57: BECOMING FAMILY

This may seem like boring chapter.  Sorry I decided to add it last minute.  But it ties into the next chapter, how Tom is feeling, and also how Madison is becoming part of their family, and how Tom is realizing that.  

Tom couldn't sleep. He wondered if Madison was able to sleep without him. Was she happier not having to share the bed with him. What if she wants to start sleeping in the guest room.  He was going crazy with his thoughts. He got up and was going to go down and raid the kitchen.  He looked at the guest room bedroom. Door was closed. Dang it he says. I was hoping to look in.  He is turning to go when he hears laughing.  What so she is awake and laughing. Is she talking about me? Is she laughing at me? Or is she talking about some hot boys.

Mia had knocked on the door. She said, "Madison" I said, "Come in" She said, 'Sorry to bother you. I was just going to see if you were asleep."  I said,' We were kind of tired, but then we like took a short sleep, and woke up. So come in please."  Mia wanted to talk to me. She said, "i know you are busy so I can talk to you tomorrow."  I said, 'no don't go" I took her hand.  Emma said, "join us. We were just talking about your brother."  Mia laughed.  She said, "yeah, he's pretty funny" We laugh.  Emma said, 'I think he's really sweet to my bestie here. I was just telling her that, and that if he does anything to hurt her, I'm going to have to hurt him" We laughed.  Mia said, 'Trust me if he does anything to hurt you Maddie, I'm going to hurt him," Emma said, 'yeah, I'll take that baseball bat to him" We laugh.  Mia said, 'Baseball bat" I said, 'oh it's so funny."  I tell her the story.  She said, "That would have been so funny Maddie if the neighbors called the police and he got arrested."  We laugh.  She said, "Daddy would be surprised, have to go take care of it" We are laughing.

Tom says wait Mia is laughing too.  What is she doing in there? Why can she come in and not me? What is so freaking funny anyway?

Tom is a little irritated.  He comes in.  He says, "hey I thought" Mia said, 'Tom you need to knock. It's rude to just walk in a girl's room" Tom said, "Madison, I thought you were sleepy and going to bed."  I said, 'yeah" Mia said, "She did go to bed. She is in her bed."  Tom said, "Mia that is not her bed."  

Tom looked irritated, and kind of like he was hurt.  He said, 'I see I'm not invited so have a good night."  He left.  I thought oh no he is mad.  I said, "I'll be back."  Emma and Mia laughed.  Mia said, "you shouldn't go after him. Make him crazy" I said, 'he looked hurt"

I went looked in his room. Empty. I sat on his bed.  I thought that maybe he was in the bathroom.  Tom came back upstairs with a sandwich and chips"   I said, 'I thought you were in the bathroom. I would have gone down to the kitchen" He said, "I was hungry. Couldn't sleep."  I said, 'oh, so what did you want" He said, 'I was going to see if you were awake and if you wanted me to bring you any snacks."

I said, "oh" He sat at his desk, with his back to me and ate.  I said, 'Tom are you mad at me" He said, "no sorry, I just am trying to eat" I said, 'oh well you usually eat in bed."  He turned and faced me.  He said, "It's fine Madison. I thought maybe you might miss sleeping in here. I guess you don't. I was going to check on you, but Mia is allowed in there, and I'm not."  I said, 'Tom, you can come in."  He said, 'you said you were going to sleep that you were tired."  I said, 'yeah and we went right to sleep, but it was short sleep, then I woke up. I got up and I guess woke Emma up."  He said, "so then you just went and got Mia so you all could laugh at me" I thought oh no he heard we were laughing about the cops being called on him.

I said, 'Tom we come on you have to admit it's a little funny. Don't you" He said, "I don't know because I wasn't invited in to know what I did that you are laughing at."  I said, 'oh I thought you heard."  He said, 'no, so I'm right you were laughing at me. Great well you can go on laugh some more."  I touched his arm.  I said, 'Tom don't be mad please. Look, Emma was just saying that if you hurt me she's serious about the baseball bat, and we laughed and Mia wanted know, so we told her that we thought someone was casing the place, but it was just you, and the funny thing is Emma has this older couple who are really nosy neighbors like they watch everything that goes on in the neighborhood, and Emma was saying you are lucky they missed seeing the car and calling the cops.  Mia was saying that your dad would be surprised and have to fix it. I mean Tom it would be pretty funny wouldn't it" Tom laughed.  He said, 'yes it would. I wasn't thinking at all about the neighbors how it would look or that I was scaring you."