CHAPTER 79: OUR FIRST THANKSGIVING

It was Wednesday so we had to go back to school.  We ate breakfast.  Tom opened the door for me, and he shut the door, and followed behind me.  I walked to the passenger side of his car.

He said, 'Rain, what are you doing" I said, "Aren't we ready to go" Tom said, "I thought we were, but I guess not."  I said, "did I forget something" He rolled his eyes.

He said, "I'd say you did, what are you doing" I looked at him. I checked to make sure I had my bag and my purse.  He was laughing.  I said, "Tommy, what did I forget."  He said, "I'm not driving" He threw me his keys.  I smiled.

I said, "Tom, are you kidding."  He said, 'no, you're my driver now. It's my turn to get driven to school."  I smiled.  I said, "But Tom" He said, 'either you drive, or we don't go, and then you will be the one breaking my mom's rules, I'll have to tell her it wasn't my fault."  I laughed. I said, 'ok"

I went around and got in the driver's side.  Tom got in.  I said, 'Tom, I know this car is your baby, so you don't have to let me drive."  He said, "i want to."

I pulled into the school parking lot.  There were lots of kids outside.  Tara and her group of friends were standing there talking to some of the boys.  I pulled into a parking spot, and Tom got out.

Tara said, 'What, you are letting her drive your precious car."  Tom said, 'yes, she's a great driver" Tara said, 'I'm a great driver, you never let me, even when my car was in the shop, and I needed a car. I had to rent one."  Tom said, "yeah sorry about that." Tom took my hand.  Tom said hi to the guys and then we went inside. 

I said, "now I see why you let me drive."  He said, "What" I whispered into his ear, "our deal" Tom said, "no that has nothing to do with it."  I said, 'oh I thought" He said, "Rain, I let you drive because you just got your license. I thought you would want to drive."  Tom didn't say much the next couple of hours.  I guess I hurt his feelings.  I said, "Tom, I'm sorry. I didn't mean" He said, 'it's fine. I'm sorry."

After school, Tom said, "Rain, since you have to go to work, do you just want to drop me off at home and take my car."  I said, 'if you are sure, I mean what if you would need to go somewhere with Mia and Molly."  He said, "If I had to I can take my mom's Lexus."  I said, 'right ok thanks Tommy. I can't believe you're letting me drive your car."  He frowned. I was driving.  He said, "Why would you say that."  I said, 'your car is so important to you. I mean it's more than just a car Tommy, your dad gave it to you, it's like a legacy" He said, "right, but you're a good driver, and you have a license now. Do you want to go look at cars maybe" I said, 'no Tom. I mean eventually yes, but I don't have the money yet to get a car. I mean I want to have a decent car, not one that is a Junker."  Tom nodded.

I let him out. He said, "have a good day at work Madison" He smiled.  I said, 'Thanks and thanks again. I promise I will drive very careful Tommy" He smiled.

He went inside and then Tom's dad dropped Mia and Molly off. Tom was doing homework in the living room. Molly wanted to play. He said after he finishes.

He played with Molly. Then the doorbell rang. Mia went to get it. It was Mike. She let him in and took Molly upstairs.  Tom and Mike went downstairs in the basement to work out.

Mike said, "Hanson what was with you today? You were pretty quiet."  Tom said, oh sometimes I really wish I hadn't asked Madison to do this deal."  Mike said, "What" Tom said, 'that way I could have just asked her to be my real girlfriend."  Mike said, 'tell her."  Tom said, 'I tried to, and then you know what happened. And I think right now it's a mistake. She is going to be upset by it, if I do tell her."  Mike said, "Why do you think that" Tom said, "Because I don't think she feels the same. Things are perfect and I don't want anything to ruin it."