CHAPTER 73: HOMECOMING

It is homecoming week, and Tom's up for homecoming king. I'm sure he's going to win. The bad news is Tara is up for homecoming queen. And she will probably win. I am dreading the assembly, because Tom will have to walk arm in arm with her, and it will hurt seeing it.   

There was going to be a bonfire Thursday night, and pep rally, and then the homecoming assembly and we were getting out of school at 1 on Friday, there was the parade at 2, and then the game, and the dance.

Tom's mom asked me if I wanted to get a new dress, but I told her I was going to wear the one that she had bought me.

Tom's parents had told Mia it was ok to have John come over to study with her.  Tom was nice to john, but also was intimidating. Insisted on them doing the studying downstairs, and we were going to sit down there and study with them. Which embarrassed Mia, and I thought was funny the way Tom was acting.

Tom was taking, me, Emma, Mia, and Molly to the bonfire and pep rally. Mia asked him if John could go with us, so Tom said it was ok.   We had so much fun.

Friday morning, I put on Tom's jersey, and I was in the guest room, brushing my hair.  Tom came in, pajama bottoms, and a white shirt on.  He said, 'morning" I said, 'morning King Hanson" He smiled.  He said, 'you don't know that I'm going to win" I said, "yes I do. I'm sure of it."  He said, 'well it doesn't matter to me if I win or not."

On the way to school, Tom said, "Madison are you upset about something" I said, "no" He said, 'are you sure, because you tossed and turned last night," I said, 'it's nothing" Tom said, "what is it. Talk to me" I said, 'Tom I just am not looking forward to the assembly. I mean seeing Tara all over you."  Tom said, 'Maddie, that's not going to happen" I said, 'yes, it is, she is going to be paired with you, and she will be the queen."  Tom said, 'ok, you don't know that she will be the queen, and I requested to not be paired with her."  I said, "you did" He said, "yes."

Tom said, 'are you looking forward to the dance tonight" I said, 'yes of course, I mean it's my very first dance Tom."  He said, "Well, I want to make you feel like a princess."  He smiled.

Tom and the other candidates had a early morning meeting and rehearsal, so Tom gave me a kiss and left me with Emma. Told me he'd meet me first hour.

Emma said, "Madison, you are going to be going to the homecoming dance with the homecoming king on his arm."  I laughed and said, "I know, I keep thinking that this isn't real, it's just I'm reading one of my books or having a long dream."

Tom walked into class, sat by me, and threw his book on his desk.  He was not in a good mood.  People looked.  I said, "hey babe."  He said, "hey Rain" He kissed my cheek. I said, 'what's wrong" He said, "later"

After class, we walked to second hour.  He was holding my hand.  I said, Tom what's wrong" He said, "Tara, she managed to get paired with me."  I said, 'of course she did. I knew she would."  Tom said, 'It makes me mad. I guess she pouted and cried, so they wanted to make her feel better. It makes me mad she is playing a victim Madison, she's no victim" I said, "no she's not."  Tom said, 'I objected in front of everyone, and then she started crying, saying I was being so mean. They made over her and told me to be nice. I told her fine she can be paired with me, but I let them know I won't be touching her, and she isn't to touch me."  Emma said, "we will see about that."   Tom said, "She better not."

Tom had to leave class to get changed and ready for the assembly.  His mom and dad took Mia and Molly out of school.

I said, 'Emma, I am sure that Tara is going to be all over Tom" She said, 'yeah, I'm sure too. I'm sorry Maddie, just try and ignore it ok."

Tom and Tara were announced.  All of the cheerleaders and Tara's friends whistled and cheered loud.  She put her arm in his.  He was not happy.  They walked up the stage, and then stopped in the middle to stand.  Tom looked so handsome in his tux. Tara went to try and kiss Tom, but he turned his head.  People laughed.  Tom was not happy. He whispered to her she better knock it off, he's not kissing her.