CHAPTER 59: EX'S

Tom is driving. He said, "Madison, thank you again for cooking for me. No girl has ever done that before" I said, "Really" He said, " it was delicious" I said, "Thank you."  Tom said, "You thinking about something. you're kind of quiet."  I nodded.  Tom said, "We can sit and talk a minute."  I said, 'Ok"

Emma had told me to just ask Tom. I had vented to her about why hasn't he kissed me again, why no parties, when I know that there have been parties each week, I mean I've heard him and Mike and Damian talking about them, telling Tom stories. Emma said not to worry about it it's best just to ask him. I could be worrying for nothing. She thought he didn't take me to parties, because he wanted to protect me from being scared. But I told her that last party, Tommy made me feel so safe, I never thought about Rob.

Tom pulled into Sonic, and we ordered slushes.  he said, "ok talk to me" I said, "well I was just wondering um, you kind of accomplished half of your goal."  He said, "Right I still need to convince them I'm in love."  I said, "well so since the first part convincing them worked, is that why" He said, "Why what Rain" I said, "why you haven't taken me to any parties. I know that they've had them every week. I've heard you talking about them to Mike and Damian about things that happened. If you're embarrassed to be seen with me it's ok. just please tell me"

Tom said, "no Madison" That hurt him to hear that.  He said, "Madison, I haven't taken you to those parties, because I don't want you at parties like that. I don't want you triggered where smells remind you. I don't want you in a crowd like that."  I said, 'oh Emma said that is what she thought, but you made me feel so safe Tom, I didn't think about it at all" He said, 'Good I'm glad, but I've been thinking, and my dad is right those parties are just a bad scene. Too crowded, too loud, it would only take a few minutes Maddie, and someone could take a girl. I mean honestly, I never really thought about it. I mean the parties, I was with my friends, and with Tara, and we usually got one of the um never mind.  it isn't a good crowd to be in. Bad things can happen.  I mean I've been to some parties, where girls have been too drunk, and they were friends of mine or Mike, so us guys have driven them home, so that they were safe"  I said, 'That's nice of you"  He said, 'But still there are those kind of guys like Rob at every party, and you mix booze and drugs, and who knows it could be guys that we would never suspect. I don't want to take a chance with you ok. I don't need to convince people at those parties."

I said, "There is one more thing."  He said, "ok" I said, 'So, did you still want to um you know um have a make out session at your locker and in between classes or" I turned red, totally blushing.  Tom laughed.  I really wish he wouldn't laugh at me when I blush. I mean it's not like I can control it, and I can't hide it. He always sees and he always laughs.

He said, "yes Maddie, unless you aren't comfortable or don't want to do it."  I said, "Great."  Ok that is terrible that I sounded so eager and said great. What he must think. Like I'm positively giddy at the thought I said, "i didn't mean great Tom I meant well it's great for your plan to convince them you are in love. Isn't it" Ok I am proud of myself, that I came up with that quickly. It didn't sound that stupid. Maybe even smart.

Tom said, "Exactly Madison" I said, 'I mean it would look fishy right, I mean you and Tara used to make out all over the damn school." ok I wish I would not have said that. Like I'm sounding like I'm jealous. I wish I could quit saying stupid stuff.

I said, "Anyway it would look kind of weird if you didn't do that with me right or" He said, "Right, it would definitely look weird."  I said, "Ok, I want to help you, I'm just um well kind of worried that it will look fake, like I will mess it up. I mean when you kissed me at the beach it was just us, I hate being looked at especially with a crowd of kids, in the hall," Tom said, "yes we will definitely be causing a scene making people stop and stare. And Tara being one of them" I said, 'great, that worries me, Tom. That I will mess it up" He said,' "Don't' worry, it will be fine. We just need to practice."