CHAPTER 68: LAST DAYS OF SUMMER

A week passed. The girls were at the library, Tom's mom and dad were both at work.  It was my week to do the chores, so I was in the kitchen cleaning up after breakfast.  Tom came in the kitchen; said he would help me do the dishes.  I said he didn't need to, but he wanted to.

After I finished the dishes, I was wiping the counter. Tom put his arms around me, he was behind me, had them around my waist.  I was surprised.  It felt so good to be in his arms like that and made me flash to a daydream of being married, and him helping me after dinner

Tom said, 'you know what this deal works out for me in more ways than one."  I said, "really" I turn and face him.  He smiled.  He said, "yes, because for the first time in my life, I have a real girlfriend."  I looked at him. He said, "Tara was, but there were some parts, anyway, let me explain. I think that you need to do one of your girlfriend duties."  Ok, I' about choked. I was not expecting him to say that, and what does he mean, girlfriend duties, is he meaning sex, or wanting me to do something for him. I don't know what to do.  

Tom's point of view.  Tom is thinking, her in my arms, like she fits perfectly, and he is having daydream of what being married to Madison would be like. Then Tom sees her face and realizes he must have oh shit she must have thought the wrong thing.

 Tom said, "sorry, let me explain'. Tom said, "I meant" I said, "Girlfriend duties, Tom, I don't know what you mean."  I back up.  He said, "I'm sorry, please I didn't mean that. Just let me explain"

He said, "Molly's birthday is in a week, and I never know what to buy her, so i usually just give Mia the money and she picks out something, and Molly thinks that I go and buy it, I was thinking that maybe you would since you are my girlfriend, you would help me, I'm 18, I don't know all the stuff 5 year old little girls like, she's a baby to me, I can't believe she is 5, so I was hoping maybe you would go with me, you are a girl, and you would know better what to pick out."  I smiled.  He was so sweet to Molly. I said, "yes Tommy, of course, I wish I would have known sooner it was her birthday, I'll put it in my phone, so I always remember, I'm going to need Mia's and your mom and dad's."  Tom said, "ok, he told me their birthday's"  

I said, "I think I know the perfect thing we could get her; do you think that we could go in together and I'm sorry, probably not. I mean I'm sorry. Tom, just ignore me being stupid" He said, "hey, you're not stupid, and yes of course we can go in together, what were you going to " I said, "I don't want you thinking that I'm thinking we are a real couple."  Those words cut into Tom like a knife and hurt me to say. Tom said, "we are real. We may not be a real couple, but we are real aren't we. Do you still doubt me, think that I'm lying about wanting to be best friends" I said, "no Tom" 

 He said, "ok good, so you have an idea what we can get." I said, "yes, I mean I guess we need to check with your mom and make sure that they aren't getting her it, but we were watching tv the other day, when you were working on your car with your dad, and this ad came on, and she said how that would be so fun. It's a whole kitchen set, like a tiny stove that you can make real things, like cookies, brownies, but it has a little fridge with it, it's like a tiny little diner, has a little counter, and recipes plates, cups, and a little drink maker, like it doesn't have to be pop, but it's a dispenser" Tom said "Sounds perfect. I'll check with mom ok. you are amazing Maddie.'  I said, "not really" He said, 'I've always struggled with buying gifts for my mom and my sisters. I mean I don't know what girls like, with Tara I just mainly handed over the cash or credit card, didn't even go with her a lot of the time, unless it was credit. And there was no way in hell i could ask her to help me get gifts for my mom and sisters. Thank you, Rain, you have no idea what this means to me." He hugged me. A long hug.  I said, "you're welcome, Tommy"

Tom was close to kissing me, when his mom came in the kitchen. We didn't even hear her.  Tom broke the hug. He said, "Mom, Maddie is the best friend to me, guess what she just agreed to help me with" She smiled, and said, "What" Tom said, "she is going to go with me and help me with Molly's gift."  She said, "that's wonderful Thomas."  I said, "I know something that she said she liked, the other day, but you maybe already getting it."  She said, "What is it" I told her.  She said, "no, I didn't even know she wanted that. How cute. She will love it."  I said, "Do you think it's ok, if I buy her something else just from me or should I not" Tom and his mom said that would be great. I said, "she loves Claires Botique and i wanted to get her some tiaras and stuff for her hair" Her mom said, "sounds good, Mia's gift is actually we are taking her to get her ears pierced she has wanted that for so long."  I said, "oh ouch" Tom smiled. He said, "you don't have your ears pierced, you want to join her."  I laughed and said, "no thanks" His mom went into her office.  I grabbed his arm.  I have to admit, I do it on purpose. His arm is so strong, muscle. I said, Tom, I know the perfect thing that you can get her" He said, "ok what" I said, "some earrings" Tom smiled.  He said, "that would really make her happy huh. She has talked about getting ears pierced for a long time. Thank you for the idea"