CHAPTER 88: WINTER DREAM AND DANCE

Time is speeding by, and each day that passes I get a little bit sadder. I can't help it, if time keeps going fast, then we will be breaking up in June.  I try and not think about it, and just enjoy the moment, but I am dreading the whole thing. I mean at least we are fake, so it's not like there would be a real fight. I mean Tom will just tell people we broke up and it was mutual. So that we can focus on college, and I mean we are still going to be friends, I'll still be living here, but I can't help but worry about what will happen. Is Tom going to start going out on dates, is he going to stay out all night or go hook up, and if he does, how will I face him, when he returns home from his hookup. 

Tom's point of view.  Tom is lying on the bed.  He's watching Madison brush her hair. Her long, beautiful, soft hair. He thinks.  I really love to touch your hair Maddie, it's so soft, and I love burying my head in your hair, your neck. I wish I knew what Madison is thinking. I know something is upsetting her. But I can't get her to tell me what it is.  I first noticed it the week after Christmas.  Her smile not as big, her eyes not shining like normal. I've asked her several times, but each time, she says nothing is wrong. I asked my dad the other day about it, Mom had taken the girls to the mall, so it was just me and my dad. I used to never want to ask my dad for advice on anything. But I do now. I told him that I was sure that Madison was upset about something, but when I ask, she says it's nothing. I told him I was worried that I had done something to upset her.  Dad laughed.

I couldn't believe my dad was laughing at me.  He can see I'm upset. He told me I'm not laughing at you, I'm just laughing, because you know now what us men go through. Trust me son, if you had done something you would know about it, she would tell you, be mad at you, blast you. Madison is a woman, a lot of women have mood swings, monthly.  There are times your mom all I have to do is look at her, and she will burst out into tears.  Dad and I got a laugh out of that one. My dad once again asked me if my feelings had changed if I wanted to be real with Madison, I told him no that we are best friends. I don't know why I'm lying to him. I mean I think he probably knows that I'm lying, but he never calls me out on it. He just tells me to make sure I tell her before we break up, if my feelings change.

I put my brush up and went and got in bed.  Tom said, "Rain, I hope you know that you can tell me anything. I mean if something is upsetting you"   I said, "Tom I'm fine." He said, "ok"

Emma and Rex broke up. He told her he could forgive her for kissing Mike, but that if they were going to stay together, he needed more from her, he wanted to take things further. He had been patient waiting for sex, but he isn't going to waste time waiting, since she kissed Mike. She felt bad that she had hurt him, but he said he was fine, that he didn't think their relationship would last, that he cared for her, but didn't love her. He wished her well. She wished him well too.  

She ended up telling Mike that she wanted to be with him. Emma is having the best January. I am so happy for her. She has loved Mike her whole life, and her dream is coming true.  She tells me mine will too. But I don't think so.  Tom and Mike have taken us girls out on some dates. But honestly sometimes I wish Tom and I weren't there. I mean I'm so excited and happy for her, and I keep it to myself, but it is a little uncomfortable for me, on these double dates. Awkward, I guess. She and Mike can't keep their hands or lips off each other.  She has a real romance, and I have a fake one. If we go to a restaurant, they are kissing, if we go to the movies they make out. I don't want to stare, so I try and just talk to Tom. It doesn't seem to bother Tom at all. But of course, it wouldn't. I mean he's not in love with me. He doesn't want us to be real.

I said, "Tom" He said "yes" He rolled over on his side and faced me.

I said, "ok I'll tell you one thing that is kind of bothering me. I mean I need someone to tell, since I can't tell Emma. And that is a first, I mean I tell Emma everything."