CHAPTER 93: WAKE ME UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE

We got back to Mike and Emma and have some refreshments.  Emma and I are talking, she is showing me the pictures she took of Tom and I dancing and asking me which one she wants me to post.

Tom is staring at me.  Tom's thinking to himself.  This night is going perfect. I'm not sure, but I think I impressed her with knowing the words to one of her favorite songs and telling her that it's true about her. Which it is. If she only knew, she is the love of my life, she makes me feel things I never thought I could.  Dancing with her, so close, I wonder if she can feel my heart racing. I should have told her right then. I can't seem to find the words to tell her, to ask her to be mine. I still don't know if I should do it at the dance or wait until we are alone in the car. I'm just afraid I'll chicken out in the car.  I think I'm going to do it when we are dancing. Maybe I'm overthinking this. I mean maybe I don't need to give her a whole speech. Maybe I can just say Madison, if you would want to, can we just be real, forget June. 

Mike asked Emma if she wanted to go dance some more, so they left.  I looked at Tom.  And finally noticed he was staring at me. But I couldn't read his face. He had that look on his face again, in his eyes, that he had at the Country Club. Like something was worrying him, like he needed to talk to me.

Fear shot through me again, the fear that Tom is wanting to end this deal. That he is giving me a perfect dance, one last perfect date, before he ends it.  He is so sweet to me. I mean most guys would not go to all the trouble to give one last perfect date; they would just end it. Not that we are real.  

I feel bad for Tom.  He's clearly struggling with it. I know he doesn't want to hurt me. And he looks lost in thought and looks worried.  I need to do the right thing and help him. I will ask him again, if there is something he needs to tell me.

I said, 'Tom" He doesn't answer.  I said, "Tommy" He said, 'yes Madison" I said, "is there" He said, "Do you want to dance."  I said, 'yes."  I'm glad that he asked me to dance, just because it was awkward standing there, watching him in distress, and knowing that my fake relationship is about to end.

I had my head on his shoulder.  I said, "Tommy"   He said, "yes."  I said, 'is there something you wanted to tell me."  I lifted my head up to look at him.  He smiled.

He said, "Rain, why do you think that."  I said, 'because once again, like earlier, I can see that you are worrying about something, that you are stressing over it. I think I know what it is."  He said, "you know me so well Madison."  I said, "I want to help you ok, don't worry about hurting me or it being bad."  Tom said, "What, why would you think that."  I said, "I just thought that you were worrying about hurting me."  Tom said, "no it's nothing like that Madison."  He smiled.  His smile put my fears at bay. Reassuring me that maybe I was wrong. Maybe our deal and our fake romance isn't over.

Tom said, "Madison, I was just going to say that I hope you're having a great night."  I said, "yes it's perfect Tommy. I mean like best night of my life."  He smiled.  He then laughed.  I said, "What. Oh you probably think that's silly huh."  He smiled.  He said, "no, I don't think it's silly. I'm laughing because I think that you have said that 3 times now. Let's see our first date where I almost got you arrested."  I laughed. So did he.  He said, "Then the opera date with my parents. Now this. You can have 3 best nights, but one has to be the #1."  I said, "I know, but they are all so perfect."  I smiled.  So did Tom.

Tom said, "Madison, I was thinking that maybe we could just be a."  Just then my cell phone rang.  I said, "What Tommy" He said, "you better see who that is."  I got my phone out of my little purse.  It was Tom's mom.  I said, "It's your mom." I said, "hello Margaret."  She didn't say anything. I said, "hello" She said, "Madison."  Then she didn't say anything. I said, "Margaret, just a minute."  I said, "Tom, I can't hear your mom. I'm going to go out in the hall."  He said, "ok."  He followed me.  I said, "Margaret, I'm going in the hall so that I can hear you."