CHAPTER 82: OUR PERFECT GIFT

We were exhausted so we went to bed early on Tuesday.  Tom said, "hey Maddie" I said, 'yes."  He said, 'Are you kind of feeling sad?"  I said, "I'm ok" He said, ":i kind of am a little sad. I mean that our trip is over. I looked forward to it, before you even knew about it."  I faced him and leaned up on my arm.  I said, "yeah I'm sad. It was the best trip I'll ever have. It went so fast. But I'm very grateful that I got to go with you."

Tom said, "it was a perfect trip. We are sad it's over, but it's ok" I said, "yes, we will always have the memories," Tom said, "yeah and you took like a thousand pictures so if we get old and forget we have those pictures."  i laughed. Tom said, "i mean it's ok, because we have something to look forward to. Next year we can go, and now we will know things to do, we can plan better." I said, "I hope we get to go Tommy" He said, "you don't think we will?"  I said, "you will be so busy with college, with football, new friends, new girls" Tom was hurt.  Why does she not see that we could be together, why does she want me with some other girl. She is always bringing that up.

Tom said, "Rain, I told you that won't happen, we should go to sleep, since we have school tomorrow."  I said, "yeah I hate it, it was so nice to not have school the last two days."'  Tom said, "night" He rolled over and was on his side with his back to me.  I said, "Tommy"  He said. 'yeah"  I said, " I really wish I knew what to get your mom and dad for Christmas. I mean I want something really special, to show them how special they are."  He rolled over and faced me. He said, "i know, I really would like to get them something different, not just the cologne and perfume that we always get them. I mean get them that, but also something special. I'm at a loss though. I mean they have everything Madison" I said, "I know. and your dad gets her romantic gifts like bracelets and birthstone necklaces."  Tom said, "we are running out of time. But at least we got the cologne and perfume to give."

School was ok on Wednesday. When we sat in the commons before school, and then at lunch, everyone wanted details on our trip.

That night Tom's mom let us know that she was having a catered dinner for all of her club, and we were welcome.  She was having one of the fanciest restaurants in town cater, and would be all kinds of foods and desserts.

Tom had practice, and then every night after practice, he would go with me to the track, and time me.  he let me drive his car to my job, at 6 I went and waited for him to finish practice, then we went to the track. I ran a few laps, and Tom timed me.  He was teasing me saying that he thought it was impossible for me to get faster, but he thinks I am.  

He said, "I'm starved Maddie. I'm glad tonight is my mom's dinner.  There will be so much good food." We got home.  Tom took my hand.  We went inside and I went up and took a shower and put on a new dress that I had bought. It was a red dress. I thought I would buy it, just in case Tom's mom was going to have a Christmas party. I didn't know, but I am glad that I bought it.

 I was in the guest room.  Tom came in. He said, "I see you disappeared in here."  I laughed.  He stared at me and said, "you look beautiful, but am I forgetting something"   I said, "What" He said, "Madison, I'm sorry. I guess I forgot" Tom had a guilty look on his face.  Making him look even hotter if that is possible.  I said, "What" Tom ran his hands through his hair.  My weakness.

Tom thought dammit how could I mess up like this. I must be totally losing it, if I asked her out on a date. I mean I wish I could tell her it's because I'm so hungry, but I don't even remember the conversation.  Tom thinks ok Hanson come on you can fix this. Just be honest, because it's clear that you forgot, but it won't take you long to get ready, the only problem is where to take her. I mean she is really dressed up, and I don't know a fancy restaurant, may be booked, without reservations.

Tom is staring at me.  Looking pitiful.  I said, 'Tom what's wrong" 

Tom said, "Madison, I'm so sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me. I know I asked you out on a date tonight, but I kind of messed up, and forgot and I don't know if I can get into a fancy restaurant."  I laughed.  Tom smiled at first, but I laughed even more, and he then stopped smiling. Tom thought oh no maybe I didn't forget, the way she is laughing at me, I'm thinking I never asked her for a date, so why is she dressed up, I hope she doesn't have a date with another guy. I mean no she wouldn't do that to me. Relax you know she wouldn't