59 - Bed Head

Xingqiu knocks on Chongyun's front door early in the morning, rocking back and forth on his heels to try and warm himself up in the cold morning air.

He knew it was a little earlier than they had previously agreed to meet, but Xingqiu had been so excited to come and pick him up for their trip to the bookstore that he couldn't help himself.

Eventually he heard footsteps inside the house, and before long the door creaks open and Chongyun stands before him.

One look over is enough for Xingqiu to no longer feel cold, as his whole body heats up at the sight.

Chongyun's hair was simply a mess, his curls every which way and untamed after sleeping, and he gazes at Xingqiu under tired eyelids. It wasn't just the hair that made Xingqiu flustered- no, it was in addition the fact that he was shirtless.

"Sorry, did I oversleep? I thought we weren't supposed to meet til later." Chongyun mumbles, his voice lower than usual.

"A-actually, I came a little earlier. It seems like I caught you while you were still asleep though." Xingqiu laughs, trying to subdue the ever growing blush on his cheeks.

"It's fine, I just need to change. You should come inside so you won't be cold." Chongyun says, opening the door wider for him.

"It's alright, it's not that co-"

"I insist. Besides, it'd be nice to have company so I don't fall back asleep."

Xingqiu can't bear to refuse him when he looks so genuinely happy to have him inside (even through his tired gaze), and so he accepts and follows Chongyun to his room.

Xingqiu takes his place on Chongyun's bed while the other goes to get his clothes from his closet and begins pulling his sweatshirt on.

"So, how come you came so early?" Chongyun asks, his voice muffled by his sweatshirt.

"I-uh-" Xingqiu stutters, his face reddening. He draws his eyes away from his bare back and looks instead at the ground. "I was just eager to get going. Those new releases aren't going to buy themselves after all."

"Oh, okay. We can walk around for a bit while we wait for the bookhouse to open then." Chongyun nods. He slips on his gloves, adding his bandages and gauntlets to his wrists.

"You don't mind if I change my pants in front of you, do you?" He asks.

Xingqiu takes a moment to process what he's being asked before he shakes his head no and looks up at the ceiling to be polite while he changes.

"Alright, I'm ready now." Chongyun nods, and Xingqiu looks at him again.

"Aren't you going to wear anything under your sweatshirt like you usually do?" Xingqiu asks, pointing out the fact that he could see his stomach.

"No, it's supposed to be really hot later today. It'd be best if I didn't wear too much clothing today if I'm going in my usual clothes." Chongyun explains, turning to open his bedroom door. "Coming?"

Xingqiu nods and follows him out, his face still red. "Y'know...I think it looks nice on you."

"You do?"

"Yeah. I think you look very nice." He blushes, avoiding eye contact.

"Thanks Xingqiu. You're such a good friend!" Chongyun smiles while simultaneously friend zoning him.

"Yeah," Xingqiu says with a shake of his head."No problem."

**********************************************

I just want it to be summer already I hate the snow 😭

Written: March 13th, 2023

Finished/Published: March 17th, 2023

(Word Count: 584)