46 - Early Mornings

Chongyun had always been a light sleeper.

He'd found this fact had been brought to light after one of his talks with Shenhe, when she told him that she awakens at the slightest of sounds.

Chongyun realized after their little chat that he too did the same thing, and more often than not, it was simply annoying.

On this particular morning though, it seemed more like a blessing from the Geo Archon himself.

He and Xingqiu had stayed up later than they usually did having one of their long conversations that had no real direction, and had made the unanimous decision to just sleep in Chongyun's bed together since they were both too tired to go back to Xingqiu's house.

This morning, Chongyun woke up to Xingqiu shifting around in his bed, and while Chongyun didn't know if Xingqiu was awake or not, he opened his eyes to see him resting against his chest.

Chongyun didn't know what he was supposed to do in this situation, but more than anything he wished Xingqiu and him could sleep like this all the time whenever one of them stayed over.

The truth was, he liked Xingqiu a lot more than he thought he had, and small moments like these reminded him of how he was bursting at the seams to confess (as well as how very single he was).

Chongyun wraps an arm around him, feeling his rhythmic breathing against his chest as Xingqiu hums and cuddles further into the crook of his neck.

Letting out a sigh he hadn't known he was holding, Chongyun half closes his eyes and sifts his hands through his navy hair, not missing how Xingqiu pulls a small smile at his action.

"Your hair is really soft." He mumbles against his pillow, slowly closing his eyes to the soothing feeling of his hand in his hair.

"I wish we could be like this more often."

"Me too."

Chongyun stifles a yell so as to not awaken everyone in his house. "You're awake?"

"Have been for a few minutes now." He says quietly while still up against him.

"So, what were you saying about us? That you wish we could be close together like this more often, I presume?"

Chongyun desperately hopes that it's still dark enough in his room that it hides his blush. "You agreed with me!"

He stops to really think about the words he just said. "You... agreed with me."

Chongyun stops looking at him and instead slowly starts to pull his hand away from the back of Xingqiu's head. "Why?"

Xingqiu's quick to move his hand back and hold his warm palm against the back of his hand. "Because I like you. I thought that much was obvious." He laughs.

Chongyun squeezes his eyes shut, praying that he wouldn't overheat. "It wasn't."

Xingqiu laughs again before he moves back a bit - not so much that it creates a big gap, but noticeable enough. "Well if you don't feel the same way, I can stay on my side if you'd like."

Chongyun immediately pulls him back, shaking his head. "No, I do."

Cuddling against him and closing his eyes, Xingqiu gets ready to go back to sleep. "That's good to hear. Let's catch up on a bit more sleep then while we can."

Chongyun nods, relaxing against his touch. "Okay."

**********************************************
Sorry for my absence everyone! I'm working on another unpublished story at the moment and as it happens, it's taking up quite a bit of my writing time. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I'll try and get something else out this month!

Written: October 31st, 2022

Finished/Published: December 12, 2022

(Word Count: 613)