40 - Heart Beats on Repeat (Happy Birthday Xingqiu!)

This chapter is way longer than my other oneshots (it's almost 3,000 words), so just a heads up on that

Also we're gonna ignore the fact that he had to sneak out on his birthday because I wrote this before I got to read his letter or see the official art, so yeah

Also, (Sumeru Spoilers) this wasn't supposed to be influenced by the events in Sumeru, I've had this idea for his birthday oneshot for a few weeks now, and only yesterday played that part in the Sumeru archon quest where Traveler and Paimon repeat the day again and again (sort of)
(End Sumeru Spoilers)

Anyways, I hope you enjoy!

Xingqiu was instantly bombarded with all sorts of "happy birthdays" on his special day from all the housekeepers and many of his friends.

He appreciated every one, and would respond with a "thank you" every time, but he was waiting for one from his best friend and long time crush with an anxious feeling.

There was something about the exorcist that just made his face heat up and made him want to see him as much as possible, and he realized all too soon that it was a crush.

So he was hoping that, maybe today, he'd get a happy birthday and perhaps something more from him than in previous years.

As soon as he was properly dressed, Xingqiu left his house in search of the other boy, sure that he'd bump into him sooner or later.

He first stopped at Wanwen bookhouse for new releases, having an abundance of Mora to spend on new books, when he was met with disappointment.

"Sorry, Xingqiu, but the new releases were all bought out this morning." Jifang told him.

"No worries, I'm sure I can find them another time." Xingqiu thanked her before leaving.

"That's strange." He thought to himself. "I'm usually the only person in Liyue who's here early enough to have first choice on the new releases."

He shrugged it off as just bad luck for that day, and headed instead to see Xiangling and check if she'd seen Chongyun lately.

He strolled up to the counter and knocked on the doorway to the kitchen, alerting the girl cooking in the back.

"Oh! Hi Xingqiu! Happy birthday!" She grinned, jumping up and going to the counter with Guoba.

"Why thank you, my liege. Have you happened to see Chongyun today?" He asked her politely.

"I have, actually. Did you want to know a secret?" She whispered, leaning in closer.

"What?" He whispered back.

"He's at Luhua Pool right now!"

Xingqiu thanked her before heading out of Liyue, excited to go and see what the other boy was up to.

**********************************************

The sun was starting to set once Xingqiu arrived at Luhua Pool, the sight before him unlike any other.

The exorcist sat atop a rock, above the water in the pools, and seemed to be reciting something to himself.

"Chongyun!" Xingqiu yelled, rushing to see him.

He perked up at this, and waved to him, scooting over for Xingqiu to sit nearby.

"Hello, my liege! What brings you so far out of Liyue today?" Xingqiu asked him between breathes.

"Well, I knew you were going to be busy today, so I came out here, where it wouldn't be as busy so you could take time to relax for a bit." Chongyun explained, his cheeks turning pink.