91 - It Has to Be Together - Both of Us, Together

Xingqiu compared meeting Chongyun for the first time to opening a book he just knew he would love - which is to say that he knew Chongyun was going to be greatly important to him from the start.

Chongyun had known it too, and it was like this familiar feeling of understanding that they both had with each other at first that just continued to grow as they got older.

As they started frequently hanging out, Xingqiu and Chongyun, to many, seemed like two dear friends who worked incredibly well together in everything they did.

Like the sun and the moon, the avid storyteller and the gentle listener, they always seemed to be each other's other half.

Xingqiu had once even compared himself as the Yin to his Yang (a playful spin on his condition that always made Chongyun smile), and it'd be hard for anyone who knew them well enough to dispute that observation.

They complimented each other perfectly, down to the very colors they wore, and to always be by each other's side meant they continued to fill in the gaps between themselves with their own combined personalities to create a beautifully crafted relationship that swiftly transitioned to a stronger one, under the noses of every witness in Teyvat.

And it broke his heart to admit it though, Xingqiu knew there wasn't anything he could do about this relationship not being public. He hated that despite being such an advocate for Justice, he couldn't bring it to himself or to Chongyun - especially to Chongyun.

Despite this hurdle, it never stopped their relationship from continuing, and instead encouraged them to keep it going behind the backs of the people.

Xingqiu compared it to the feeling of free falling but with the love of his life by his side, who would always manage his worries with words or holding hands softer than any expensive fabric or material he'd felt in his life.

There was no doubt in his mind then that they had a commitment to each other as well, and a silent one that they both agreed didn't need to be said out loud, as he'd put it sometime before.

Chongyun had taken his words to heart, and promised to bring him some sort of feeling through his words in return, and Xingqiu had told him he couldn't wait for the result, as internally he was ever so grateful his boyfriend cherished his words so much.

In the meantime, Xingqiu had taken to writing about him, and all the things that took up his mind about the other boy, incorporating him into his hobbies and passions as any person in love does.

Not being able to be nearly as vocal as he'd like made for many afternoons having Chongyun read what he wrote down about him, carefully studying and watching his reactions as soft bubbly laughter always escaped his quiet lips.

In short, he had come up with love letters, still penned in his usual handwriting that only Chongyun could read, and gifted them to him whenever he finished a new one.

Xingqiu had written him dozens of letters, and sent them as though he were an anonymous, lovesick bookworm who was in love with the exorcist (which isn't far from the truth, really) because it's a little spin on love letters that he figured Chongyun would enjoy, so he can still accept them without worry of anyone finding out their little secret.

Today was such a day where Xingqiu had gifted him a letter, and they were sitting in their usual spot, which was a little space tucked away behind the mountains that they'd always gone to to be alone with each other.

"...and to brush my lips to yours, to feel how love must taste when I've even yet to see it." Chongyun's soft laughter spills from his mouth to give even more life to the letter, almost making the ink glow with emotion and gentle love for him just as he'd predicted.