36 - There's only one bed

Xingqiu's read enough, ahem, questionable novels to know that this kind of situation can only be described as an overused plot in fanfiction.

The bed is nice and neat, up against the wall and decorated with blankets and pillows. The two boys were standing before it, both already in their sleepwear but both too uncomfortable to do or say anything.

You see, there's only one bed. And everyone knows that sharing a bed with the person you like sounds like the most awkward situation you could ever be put into with them.

"So." Xingqiu stares at the ground, a hand on his hip. "Which side do you want to sleep on?"

"The, uh... far side's fine."

Xingqiu moves first and tucked himself in under the covers, then Chongyun whose leg is brushing up against his.

"I'll shut off the light."

Xingqiu reaches over Chongyun to his bedside table without knowing how close they were. If they'd taken a moment to make eye contact during this entire interaction, chances are one of them would have exploded from the pressure and tension.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen though, and they laid next to each other in the dark in utter silence for an uncomfortably long time.

There were minor sounds of shuffling to adjust themselves into sleeping positions and steady breathing in the dark, but all of their thoughts spoke loud and clear.

"Do I say anything? He's so close! Why is this so awkward anyways? We're just friends! Would it be better if we weren't? Too bad we're not together, then this would be way easier..."

"I'm going to overheat if this keeps up... I hate this feeling! Why can't I just tell him how I feel? I won't be this hot then!"

"HeyXingqiu."

"YesChongyun."

"Soyou'restillawake."

"Yeah."

Chongyun turned over so he could meet tired, restless eyes with Xingqiu. "How come?"

"I think I'm just not used to sleeping in a bed with you."

"Is there a way we can fix that so we can get some sleep?"

Without hesitation, Xingqiu wrapped his arms around him, resting his head on his. "Maybe we should just... embrace it."

Struggling to ignore the gay panic, Chongyun nodded against his chest. Admittedly, he would like to sleep like this too. Actually, this felt really nice.

"...Yeah. That sounds nice."

And just like that, they both fell asleep in each other's arms.

No exact romantic words were exchanged, but the undertones were strong enough without them.

...

It would still take them forever to actually confess though.

**********************************************

This week has felt so long I'm so tired skdjfjskrne

Written: September 15, 2022

Finished/Published: September 16, 2022

(Word Count: 442)