45 - A Bad Bout of Writer's Block

After Chongyun finished his training, he sat down to try and enjoy a popsicle to cool down.

Key word try.

"Chongyuuuun." His best friend whines from his place in the sun. He lays his head on the ground and shakes his fists in anger before peering up at him. "I have writer's blooooock."

"What's that?" Chongyun asks, savoring the cold, calming feeling of his snack.

"Writer's block is when you can't think of any ideas to write about or when you're stumped on how to write something." He explains, squishing his cheek against his open notebook. "And I have a bad case of it."

Chongyun sighs, knowing his next question will send Xingqiu off to talk about his writing forever. He loved hearing Xingqiu go on and on about his stories, but right after he's trained? He'd much prefer a few minutes of silence.

Never the less, he asks, because he's his best friend (*cough* and love of his life *cough*) and he'd rather he not be upset. "What are you having trouble writing?"

"You see, I'm writing a scene where the main characters share a kiss before they leave, but given my writer's block, I don't seem to have any words that fit just right." Xingqiu sighs.

"Usually, as a writer, it's very helpful to have already had such experiences so you know first hand what it's like, but you know better than most that I've never been in a relationship with someone before."

"How come you have to be in a relationship?"

Xingqiu blinks at him slowly in thought, not knowing what he's thinking about. "What do you mean?"

"Well, if it'd help, I could kiss you. Only if we didn't have to be dating, that is."

Xingqiu grows quiet, hiding his mouth with his notebook before he replies with something inaudible.

"What?"

"I said that... that'd be alright with me."

He picks himself up, leaving behind his things in the grass, and going to sit in front of him in the shade, away from the heat of the afternoon.

He assumes Chongyun won't know what to do, so he take the time to situate himself.

Oh how wrong he was.

Chongyun seemed to waste no time in leaning forward to softly graze his lips, his hand resting loosely on the side of his face.

"Is this what you meant?" He whispers softly against his lips. "Or did you mean something more?"

Xingqiu can't even respond; the question seems like it's coming from someone else entirely, and certainly not Chongyun. But it seems that the part of him that longs for an actual kiss, the part of him that has longed for far too long, couldn't bear to be patient any longer.

He answers his question with an emotional kiss back, more so than he'd ever care to admit.

It feels nice to rest against his cold lips, and to hold a hand on his thigh for support while he looses himself in the moment.

Both of them were thinking the same thing: I should probably pull away now. But neither made a move to do so.

Instead, it ended when they were out of breath and their eyes opened to someone that was something more than platonic to them.

They both just look at each other until their breathing has steadied a bit before the blush starts to settle in.

"I-" Xingqiu starts, not being able to finish his sentence when both of them move closer to each other.

"You?" Chongyun implores him, tilting his head.

"We should... do that again sometime. For my book, of course." He answers, trying not to focus on his best friend's lips any longer than he already had.

"Yeah. Your book." Chongyun nods, even though he knows he's just trying to convince himself of something he doesn't believe.

"I'm going to try writing again." Xingqiu breaks their staring contest first, going back to his notebook in the grass.

Chongyun stares up at the rays of sun filtering in through the branches and closes his eyes.

"It's nothing mutual."

**********************************************

Written: October 31st, 2022

Finished/Published: November 1st, 2022

(Word Count: 689)