58 - Embarrassed

"Why are we reading this?" Chongyun asks, hugging his knees to his chest to cover his blush.

"Because why not? It's one of the only books at Wanwen bookhouse I haven't read yet, even if it's not a genre I normally seek out." Xingqiu shrugs.

"Yeah, but...it's a romance novel."

"So?"

Xingqiu leans forward to gaze at Chongyun's face, and it's quickly apparent by his face that he's about to tease him to the high heavens.

"Are you embarrassed, Yun?" He smirks, poking his cheek while using his unique nickname for him. Chongyun rarely heard it from him unless he was teasing him, and so he knows that this is going to be a long afternoon with his friend.

"I'm not embarrassed!"

"Then why are you all red? I don't go all red unless I'm embarrassed." Xingqiu smiles.

"Oh yeah?" Chongyun challenges him. He sits closer to him and moves their faces closer. "What makes you embarrassed then?"

"Now, why would I divulge that information to you?" Xingqiu backs up a bit, attempting to keep up a straight face.

"Maybe because you know what makes me embarrassed. I think it's only fair."

Xingqiu shakes his head and sits up away from the other boy, situating himself back into his reading position. "The idea of fair or not fair is such a trivial thing. Why don't we just enjoy our time reading?"

Chongyun grumbles in annoyance before he gets an idea. "Alright. Let's go back to reading-"

He takes Xingqiu's book from him and pulls Xingqiu close to him, resting an arm around his shoulder: "but I'll read now. You always talk about wanting me to read to you anyways."

When Xingqiu doesn't respond, Chongyun leans forward to see that his face has gone bright red, and he knows that his idea worked.

"Why are you embarrassed?" He asks him feigning cluelessness.

"I'm not embarrassed." Xingqiu states, avoiding eye contact.

"Yes you are. You only go red when you're embarrassed, remember?" Chongyun reminds him.

"Well played, my liege, well played." Xingqiu sighs before snuggling up to him comfortably, easily making the exorcist heat up. "Now why don't you read to ease my mind?"

**********************************************

It's supposed to snow a lot tonight and tomorrow where I live, so if I get a snow day I should be able to pre-write more chapters and get some of my missing work done

Written: March 6th, 2023

Finished/Published: March 8th, 2023

(Word Count: 411)