54 - It's a Date!

The evening is cool and calm, with families, lovers and friends running about in the vast city of Liyue. Xingqiu's so taken aback by the sight of two lovers - a man and a woman he presumed to be lovers because of their wedding bands - that he doesn't hear Chongyun calling his name beside him.

"Heeey Xingqiu?" Chongyun asks, waving a hand in front of his face. "Teyvat to Xingqiu?"

"O-oh, did you need something?" He inquired back.

"No, you just seemed kind of distracted."  Chongyun admits while biting into a popsicle.

"The city sights will do that to you sometimes I suppose..." Xingqiu laughs nervously, looking over past the jewelry shop while he and Chongyun walk.

Xinyan, Xiangling and Hu Tao were giving him not so subtle thumbs ups and signals, urging him to hurry up and ask Chongyun out already.

He knew that there was no chickening out, but he continued to delay the inevitable by making idle chit chat with him.

"What's takin' him so long? All he's gotta do it go 'Hey Chongyun, let's go on a date together!' How hard is that?" Xinyan whispers in a hushed voice.

"He'll do it. If he doesn't, he owes us quiiite a lot of Mora." Xiangling whistles.

Xingqiu tries to tune out their conversation before he stops walking where they can see.

"Might as well get it over with..." he thinks to himself.

"What's the matter Xingqiu? Why'd you stop? Chongyun asks him while polishing off his popsicle.

"Well, I wanted to ask you something..." Xingqiu says, rocking back and forth, letting the heels of his shoes fall against the pavement with a clack.

"What is it?"

Xingqiu takes a deep breath before averting his gaze for fear of getting cold feet again. "I was wondering if I can take you out for dinner tomorrow night."

"Sure, that's sounds good and I'm free." Chongyun agrees.

Xingqiu nods and quietly hands him a little piece of paper, which Chongyun takes and reads the date and time, as well as the place and a little extra note at the end.

It's a Date! <3

The two walk off and finish their night, and once Xingqiu's sure that Chongyun's out of earshot and out of view, he hurries back to the girls, now waiting at a far table at Wanmin restaurant.

"Congrats Xingqiu! Now I don't have to watch you be sad and single anymore!" Hu Tao smiles while she laughs.

"I'm not sad." Xingqiu states, taking his seat at the table.

"You always seemed pretty bummed whenever Chongyun didn't pick up you trying to flirt with him." Xinyan points out before Xingqiu goes red.

"And even more that time when you went to hold his hand and completely missed every time." Xiangling says.

"You saw that?!"

Xiangling nods before clearing her throat and addressing the people at the table. "Tomorrow is your date with Chongyun, and if for whatever reason it goes haywire, come find one of us and we'll help you out."

"Yeah! Chongyun wont know what hit him!" Xinyan smiles.

Xingqiu sighs in defeat while the three girls give him pointers and tips, his mind cluttered with thoughts of the other boy.

"Let's hope this doesn't go off the rails..."

-

Chongyun heads up to the grassy cliff peak where Xingqiu had requested he meet him.

Growing closer, he notices a blanket laid neatly on the ground a good ways away from the edge of the cliff, with soft lyre music playing from archons knows where.

Xingqiu's busy tidying things up and making the area look nice, and when he looks up to meet his eyes he greets him with a smile.

"Greeting my liege. Are you excited?"

"I...guess? What's all this fancy stuff for?" Chongyun inquires.

Xingqiu's entire demeanor melts away and he looks at Chongyun in disbelief. "F-for our date?"

"Yeah, but we're just eating dinner. Is it a holiday that I'm forgetting?"

"Chongyun, do you know what a date is?" Xingqiu asks him tiredly. While he did love him, he could be all too oblivious for his own good.

"Not really."

"A date is when someone asks out another person to go do something with them, but it has romantic undertones. I was asking you out because I like you." Xingqiu states.

Xingqiu can see the gears turning in Chongyun's head as he slowly realizes what Xingqiu meant, and when he does he immediately starts apologizing.

"Oh my gosh I had no idea that's what we were doing, I'm so sorry!" He says, looking at him with sincerity.

All Xingqiu can do is laugh at how oblivious the other can be, because what else can he do?

"Wait right here! I'll be right back!"

"Where are you going?!"

"To change! I'm dressed too casually for this to be a date." Chongyun states, addressing both his and Xingqiu's attire.

Xingqiu had changed into something a little more formal, while Chongyun was still in his usual clothes, something Xingqiu didn't mind. "You can stay in that. It won't affect it if you do!"

"But I want to! For you." Chongyun quickly grabs his hands before shyly mumbling the last part. "You put all of this together and I didn't even realize it at first, so I'm going to go change quick to show my gratitude to you! And I'll be fast, I promise."

Before Xingqiu can even think, Chongyun gives him a kiss on the cheek before he heads back to go change into what he considered to be more presentable clothes to wear on a date.

"Do I have to play music the whole time while he's gone? Or can I take a break?" A voice calls from over the edge of the cliff once he's gone.

Xingqiu peers over the edge to see Venti floating while cradling a lyre in his arms, carelessly lying on thin air. "You can stop for now. And aren't you tired? Surely your vision can't keep you up for that long."

Venti just shrugs while he shows off the little anemo vision at his side. "I've been alive for a little longer than you have, so this is nothing for me. Besides, I'd prefer not to expose our little secret here to Chongyun!"

Xingqiu shakes his head at the older boy before going back to set up the place for the date. "If you say so."

**********************************************

Written: February 4th, 2023

Finished/Published: February 9th, 2023

(Word Count: 1,079)