84 - Soft (Happy Birthday Chongyun!)

Chongyun didn't like to trouble his friends with his overthinking, and especially not Xingqiu.

Xingqiu was always by his side to support his endeavors in finding a spirit that could withstand his condition, and typically always chastised him for talking down to himself, though it was always in hopes he'd think more highly of his abilities.

However, Chongyun was already knee-deep in talking about his troubles, and Xingqiu had yet to stop him, and he didn't know whether that was because it was his birthday or some other reason he wasn't aware of.

Regardless, he kept on talking, just hoping he could get it all of his thoughts out now so he could enjoy his special day later.

"I guess I don't even really know how to explain it, but dealing with my emotions is...difficult." He sighs. His face is sandwiched between his palms, eyes fixed on the rising sun as it peeks out over the mountaintops to say good morning to the citizens of Liyue. "Not in the way I have trouble containing them, but that I have to, y'know?"

He carefully looks over at Xingqiu, whose eyes are fixed on the grand details on the cover his book, although it's clear he's listening to him when he gives a little nod.

I just get tired of  it sometimes, it feels exhausting. But then again, what do I know about feelings?" He laughs a little at his misfortune before he notices Xingqiu shifting in his spot a little.

He immediately quiets up and looks over, a habit at this point since Xingqiu's words always seemed to command his attention.

"I think you know a lot, actually." He exhales. Xingqiu turns to look at him with that serious glance he always does when he's got something important to say, and Chongyun easily lends his ear to listen.

"You're bound to think about your emotions more than anyone else because you can't really express them, so by the time you find a spirit that can withstand your condition and you can try doing more passionate things-" Xingqiu rests his hand on his cheek, "-you'll have a better understanding on your emotions than most people."

"Really?" Chongyun says quietly. He's taken aback by Xingqiu's calm response, but mostly the almost blissful way he's looking at him.

Call him crazy, but the way the morning sun was softening his features and making his eyes glow brightly might've been having an affect on his heart, as he swears it's beating faster now.

"Course. Your ability to challenge your thoughts and think about things in a different way really proves that you're thinking hard about this. That's what makes you so unique, after all." He nods.

Chongyun doesn't hear a single thought rush to his mouth, it just all goes blank and all he hears is the beating of his heart while Xingqiu's face breaks into a smile.

Xingqiu sits up a little and holds out his arms to him, adjusting his body so he's better facing Chongyun. "C'mere, I think you could use a hug."

He looks at the outward curve of his palms and his open his arms are, his entire body inviting him into his presence.

Chongyun doesn't usually initiate touch very often, he doesn't want to overheat after all, but it was early and the morning was a little chilly, and gosh darn it, it was his birthday and Xingqiu was sitting right here with a hug waiting for him, so he clumsily falls into his arms and stares wide eyed at the space beyond his shoulder.

"Sorry, I'm not good with touch, either..." he apologizes. It's a routine at this point, and Xingqiu seems to know that, because he quickly responds to his apology.

"Don't apologize, this is just fine. Actually, I think it's just right. It's another thing that makes you so special. The way that you give affection."

"Affection...?" He blushes, burying his face further into his shoulder.

If he's being truly, completely honest with himself, the thought of it being 'affection' rather than just 'touch' made him very inwardly happy.

Just being here, in Xingqiu's arms while Xingqiu spews what he would deem 'loving' words into his ears made him feel more at ease than he usually did, and he wanted to completely bask in that feeling for as long as possible.

So he untenses his body, and he leans more comfortably against him, his hands loosely clasped around his waist and tangled in the dewy grass behind him while he leans into the crook of his neck.

Xingqiu makes no move to push Chongyun off or break away from the hug for a long while, so Chongyun doesn't either, and he unknowingly falls asleep in Xingqiu's arms while his heart beats happily against his chest, dreaming about all the other lovely things he might get to do with Xingqiu one day.

And even though he was half awake, and even though he was extremely close to Xingqiu to begin with, he could've sworn he felt Xingqiu kiss him on the head with a 'Happy Birthday Chongyun'.

**********************************************

Sorry if I don't end up being able to post very much right now, I've got really bad writer's block and I'm trying to get out of it

On a different note, I FLIPPING CALLED IT THAT IT WAS JUST GONNA BE CHONGYUN AND XINGQIU FOR HIS BIRTHDAY ART THIS YEAR, I was thinking to myself 'is it gonna be the trio again this time?' But I was like 'no way they've been on a Xingyun roll lately' AND I WAS FRICKING RIGHT OMG

Also that art is so flipping cute I love it sm

Written: September 6th, 2023

Finished/Published: September 7th, 2023

(Word Count: 959)