64 - "What About a Wedding?"

On cool afternoons in Liyue, Chongyun was always more than happy to spend his days outside with Xingqiu. The sun wasn't too hot, he didn't feel uncomfortable - it was just perfect.

Today happened to be one of those days, and Chongyun was laying in the shade with Xingqiu right beside him, basking in the warm glow of the sun with their hands loosely tangled together like they knew they wouldn't loose the other.

"Hey Chongyun?" Xingqiu asked suddenly, turning his head to look through his uneven bangs.

"Yeah?"

"Have you ever thought about...getting married?" He asked softly, turning back to look at the clouds with pink dusted cheeks.

"No. I guess I never considered it since I never thought that I'd...how do you always put it? 'Fall in Love' with someone." He admitted. When he glanced over at Xingqiu, he saw that his face was getting redder, and Chongyun quickly realized he was embarrassed by his own question.

"Did you mean, have I ever thought about marrying you?" Chongyun re-stated for him.

"Well, who else would you marry?" Xingqiu mumbled, tilting his face away so his hair covered his blush.

"No one but you, now that I think about it."

Xingqiu nodded and sighed, picking a few blades of grass and fiddling with them with his fingers. "If we ever got married- just, hypothetically-" He laughed nervously before quieting down. "What do you think we would wear?"

"Suits. That what guys usually wear, right?"

"It's just hypothetical, Chongyun. What would you want us to wear?"

Chongyun contemplated the thought for a bit, focused on the colors of their outfits. "Maybe something black. And you would wear white."

He looked over to lift the hem of Xingqiu's sleeve, rubbing the fabric between his fingertips. "You always look really pretty in white. It'd be nice if you had these ruffles, too."

Xingqiu just looked at him lovestruck, his feelings a messy pile of mush in his brain.

Chongyun quickly realized how strong of an admittance it was for him to say what he did, and sat up quickly, moving his hands away from Xingqiu.

"I-I'm sorry, that's probably super embarrassing for me to be saying all of this to you..." he said, a deep rosy red imbedded in his face.

"Of course it's not!" Xingqiu said fast before recoiling and adjusting himself to be more composed. "I mean, I like hearing what you think about me."

Xingqiu sat up and took his hand, loosely holding it again. "I'm not uncomfortable by your sentiments, my liege."

"Oh." Chongyun's nodded, allowing his blush to subside. "Okay then."

He cautiously laid back down with Xingqiu, though his face was still light pink. "I guess, in that case, it wouldn't be too much to tell you that I like your smile, too."

"My smile?" Xingqiu asked, his own quickly fading before he covered it. "Why? I hate it..."

"What?" Chongyun looked at him in shock. "Why do you hate it?"

"Because even if it's silly, I see it often enough to scrutinize it, and I think it's..." he paused and mumbles his last word. "...ugly. Why do you like it?"

Chongyun turns on his side to look at him grumpily. "Because it think it's pretty. When you smile, it shows off these dimples you have, and I just think it's, well...nice."

He reached out for Xingqiu's hand, waiting for permission. "Can I-?"

Xingqiu looks hesitantly, before looking away and taking his hand off of his mouth. Chongyun takes his invitation to cradle his cheek, squishing it against his open palm.

"I like your smile a lot Xingqiu. I don't know how much that counts towards your own feelings, but, I hope it changes them!"

Despite his words earlier, Xingqiu can't help but grin easily at his eager determination, and just when he brings a hand to cover it again, Chongyun doesn't let him.

"Don't hide it. At least, not from me." Chongyun asked. "Is that okay?"

Xingqiu leans forward to peck him on the lips and bury his head against his chest. "Yeah. It is."

**********************************************

Written: April 18th, 2023

Finished/Published: April 21st, 2023

(Word Count: 696)