116 - I Don't Mean to Pry (But Who the Hell are You Married To?!)

Sorry for the late update I had a long day of travel BUT here it is!

Also the drawing isn't loading so I'll try to reload it tomorrow

This is a modern au where Chongyun works in an art office building and basically his coworkers are trying to figure out who he's married to

Yanfei is aware that it isn't necessarily polite to go poking your head into other people's business - especially if they're your coworker and they don't seem to want to disclose much information about their love lives.

But everyone in the office knows each other well enough that they're all aware of their relationships and whether they had kids or not, so having just one coworker out of the bunch who never so much as mentions his supposed wife (who they only know he has in the first place because of the shiny silver wedding band on his finger) makes the coworker in question stick out like a sore thumb, and has made her and her fellow colleagues a tad curious.

...Alright, maybe more than a tad because they've set up a little meeting to talk about it, but that's besides the point.

"I have something new to share!" Xiangling starts their little meeting in the break room off, standing from her chair.

"Finally, a lead." Tighnari sighs in relief, to which his husband nods in agreement from beside him.

"Agreed. It almost felt like he was unknowingly leading us on to believe he's married in the first place." Cyno smiles a little himself, to which there's a collective groan from everyone in the room.

"He'd asked if I wanted to go to lunch with him one day and I'd said no because I had plans with Xinyan and Yun Jin." She starts, ignoring the joke. "When I came back from lunch, he said that he hopes maybe some other time will work because his husband was looking forward to meeting some of his coworkers!"

"So we know that he's married to a man. That's about it though..." Tighnari grumbles. "...I don't see why he wouldn't want to tell any of us that he's gay, I mean-"

He hold up his and Cyno's connected hands, their matching wedding rings shining in the dim fluorescent lights.

"True, maybe there's some other reasoning at play." Yanfei concludes. "I have a friend who's a popular author and he says that his husband tries not to disclose much about their relationship to the people he knows because he doesn't want to bring unwanted attention to them."

"You think he's married to someone famous?" Xiangling looks at her, wide eyed. 

"Maybe." She shrugs before they all freeze when the break room door opens and said married man walks through the door.

"Sorry, am I interrupting something?" Chongyun looks around at everyone in the room staring at him like a deer in headlights.

"No, not at all." Tighnari waves his hand with a sarcastic flourish.

"We were just...talking. About spouses and stuff." Yanfei hums, drinking from her coffee mug and hoping it'll prompt him to say something more.

"Oh, okay. I was worried I was intruding on something really important by how you were looking at me." He shakes his head, though the embarrassment doesn't quite dissipate from his demeanor. "It's how my husband looks at me when I go to his study while he's writing something."

"Your husband writes?" Cyno asks, quirking an eyebrow.

"A lot, actually. It's what he does for work." Chongyun explains before his cheeks get red and he shakes his head, clutching his bag tighter. "Sorry, I don't mean to disclose so much about my own life, I should go set up my desk for the day."