101 - Ice Cream Might Not Fix This (But a Dozen Kisses May)

While Chongyun was certainly used to getting false leads every now and then, it never made them any less disheartening. 

Last week it was a 'haunted house' that Xingqiu had suggested to him, and the week before that he had heard someone talk about evil spirit sightings around Wangshu Inn.

They had all resulted in absolutely nothing, and just like he'd been starting to suspect when everyone was giving him odd looks when he asked about evil spirits at an event that reminded him much of the Test of Courage, this one also happened to be fruitless.

He sighs, biting bitterly into a popsicle as he trudges up the hill to one of his training spots where Xingqiu was waiting, perched in the shade of a tree resting his cheek against one of his knees while he reads.

Chongyun can't help but blush a little at the sight, as even if he was a little (okay, a lot) disappointed, the sight of pretty, relaxed Xingqiu sitting quietly as he reads is still quite nice to him, as it always is.

Something about Xingqiu always made him blush, but he never dwelled on it for too long, as in true Xingqiu fashion, he always said or did something that distracted the rest of Chongyun's attention away.

"Ah, you're back already." Xingqiu looks up and smiles, stretching out his arms and patting the grass beside him. "How did it go?"

"Bad." Chongyun mumbles into Xingqiu's hair as he falls on his shoulder.

He smells very nice, he finds himself thinking. Much like silk flowers and the bookstore.

"Oh dear, well that's not good." Xingqiu shakes his head, setting his novel aside and shifting his full attention to Chongyun. "Did you not find anything of use?"

"Worse than that. I asked everyone there about the spirit sightings and they all seemed like I was bringing down the mood by the time I left." Chongyun sighs, a wave of guilt washing over him. "I feel awful about it. Everyone was having a good time until I ruined it."

"That's not true! You're just doing your job as an exorcist. If you ask me, they should all be very thankful you came to make sure they were safe from evil." Xingqiu crosses his arms and says in a highly manner, to which Chongyun gives him a really? look when he moves a little from his shoulder.

"I'm serious. While they may not quite understand what you're doing, they could at least be kinder about it." Xingqiu changes his tone to a softer one, biting his cheek and humming to himself. "What if I treated you to some ice cream or popsicles? A treat after a hard day's work should help a little, no?"

Chongyun shakes his head, falling back on his shoulder again. "No thanks. I'm not in the mood for ice cream."

"Oh..." Xingqiu goes quiet for a minute, looking around a bit before he sits up and forces Chongyun to do so as well. "Could I try something else then? To lift your spirits?"

"It isn't going to be chilis or anything, is it?" Chongyun asks him warily.

"No no, of course not. I have no such things on my person right now." Xingqiu holds out his free hands with a smile. "I'm not even going to give you anything tangible as a matter of fact."

Chongyun's quirks an eyebrow and tilts his head. Now he was kind of curious. "What is it then?"

"Well..." Xingqiu takes one of his hands and goes to slide it against Chongyun's cheek, his cold hands almost a relief if Chongyun's heart wasn't pounding so hard from the unknown of whatever Xingqiu was about to do.

Xingqiu closes his eyes, the amber-yellow out of sight, and leans in close to pepper his cheek with kisses, just barely touching his skin while his lips graze over his blush dusted face and pull back with a graceful smile and uncertainly written over his face.