•Chapter 48• Superheroes

Y/n put down an empty notebook. "Next subject." she walked back to Peter and Harley with a small smile on her face. She was excited. The first test was a success. They managed to pull another apple from another time. Another universe maybe. Her machine was working. "A notebook. Trying to see if we can find the same book with something written in it. So, just another cover or different type of paper is not enough." She explains. "Ready?" Peter asks. Harley nodded and pushed the buttons. "Okay, three, two... one," Y/n said. The machine was activated seconds later. Y/n watched with hopeful eyes as the machine started rumbling. She pressed her lips together in excitement. But this rumbling didn't sound like it did before which made Harley frown. "Uh... no- no that doesn't- that doesn't sound right." He says. Peter turned to look at the monitor beside him. "Oh, no, this isn't good. We should turn it off." He says. "No, no, keep it going." She tells the boys. A small spark appeared near the wire panel. "You don't see that? I'm shutting this down." Harley says. Y/n stopped him. "No! Keep it going. It's just warming up." She protested. Before she knew it, a large wire disconnected from the machine. More sparks appeared, larger sparks, and they were flying through the lab. "Y/n, shut it down," Peter tells her. "No!" She protested. Y/n just looks up. One of the tubes also came loose and headed straight toward them. Peter quickly shot his web at Y/n and yanked her into him before anything could hit her. He moved them behind the monitors for safety and covered her head instead of his own. Harley managed to just dodge the tubes and wires himself. "Shut it down!" Peter tells him. The blonde boy crawled back up and shut off the machine before it could explode any further. Y/n slowly raised her head as the engine seemed to power down. "Everyone okay?" She questioned.

Harley glared at her and so did Peter. The spider boy didn't seem as mad as Harley, more worried about her. "I'm fine." He says. "What the hell, Y/n?" Harley spoke up. Y/n turned to her friend. "We could've died." He added. "Don't be dramatic." She rolled her eyes at him and rose back to her feet. "Did something get fried or something?" Peter asks as he follows his girlfriend toward the machine. "No, no, this has to do with the program. It probably overheated something and the tubes just broke or something trying to cool it off. The engine is heavy and complicated. I think there are just some little details we need to adjust. This is time and universe... which is more complicated than just time or just universes." She explains. Her friend glared at her, ready to give her a piece of his mind when he noticed something on her clothes. "Hey, what's that attached to you?" Y/n turned to look at Harley. The blonde was pointing at her arm. One of Peter's webs simply dangles there, still attached to her clothes. She pulled it off her sleeve and briefly glared at Peter. "Was that a... spider web? And that came out of- out of Peter." He questions. Peter shook his head slightly. "No, no -" Y/n started. Harley looked up at Peter with wide eyes. "Oh my god... You're Spider-Man!" Harley started chuckling, "No way. Now it all makes sense. The web, his reflexes, not to mention that he moved that all by himself. That's why Tony would- oh, you're dating a superhero." He said with a smirk. "Lee, no that's not -" Y/n tried again. "I'm not Spider-Man." Peter chuckled awkwardly. His tone sounded the same as it always did when he was nervous. He even had that little smile.

"So, that's why you're swooning so badly over this guy. Could've seen it coming. Little Y/n and her superheroes." Harley said to her. As soon as those words reached Peter's ears, he gripped Y/n's wrist and pulled her aside. Harley met with Peter, standing face to face with one another. "I'm sorry. I must've misheard -" Peter said. A low chuckle escaped Harley's lips. "You know what I said." He replied. "We don't have time for this," Y/n tells them but the boys didn't listen. "What? You've got a problem or something, Parker?" Harley asks him. Peter shakes his head. "Do you, Keener?" Peter spat back at him. "Just pointing out the facts about the princess over here." Harley shrugged as if it was nothing. Little Y/n.  Y/n just rolled her eyes and turned the other way. But Peter wasn't having it with the nicknames. "You know, Y/n/n, I've always had a feeling about you and superheroes," Harley calls after her as she tries to walk away. "Leave her alone," Peter tells him sternly. "Dude -" Harley says. Y/n glares at him. "What the hell was that supposed to mean? Me and superheroes?" She questions. She folded her arms over her chest while looking at him. "Your dad's a superhero. All your so-called uncles are superheroes. Natasha. Come on. I think it's ironic. I could've known. I mean, I knew there was probably something special about him but -" Harley said jokingly. Peter glanced over his shoulder to look at his girlfriend. Before Peter could open his mouth to speak, Y/n cut him off. "Lee," She started. "I think it's cute. Honestly. Princesses need their protectors. That's all they need." Harley continued. "Shut it, Keener." Y/n snapped at him. She looked back at Peter. The Spider boy marched toward the exit. "Peter. Pete!" She calls after him. She turns back to Harley with a deadly glare once Peter is out the door. "So, Spider-Man, huh?" He smirks at her.